re: those foreign companions; "Enkidu;" The Only Old One

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 12:21:43 -0700

Simon Bray asked

> Finally who is the Jann, son of
> Afadjann in KOS, noted as a companion to Argrath

This always seemed like a clear bit of cultural confusion (if there can be "clear confusion"). Likewise, I don't think Ardinyar is really King of Ralios (though he might have introduced himself as such). Probably not even King of Vesmonstran. Almost certainly he's King of Lankst.

Peter Metcalfe wrote

> The Death God is known as Enkidu in Fonrit

Is this really his name? Can't we use a less well-known hero, if we must crib from Gilgamesh? (Which Greg already cribs from big-time in Entekosiad.)

Andrew Joelson asked

> > Easy one; the OOO is actually an Office, not a single person, if I
> > recall correctly.
>
> Could you please explain where this comes from? It's certainly
> the first I've heard of it. It doesn't fit the rule of common sense,
> though; if then OOO was an office, then Belintar would have become OOO
> rather than Pharoah. (And don't say that you have to be a troll to be
> OOO, it has been proven by HQ that the OOO is a troll and that he isn't
> a troll. _Both_ HQs have been performed.)

The fact that he both is and isn't strongly hints that it's (at least in later years) an office, not a person. It's really easy to prove you're not a troll if no fact you aren't.

And why would Belintar want to be the OOO? The Only Old One rules the Shadowlands, not the Holy Country, and that's quite a different thing. Why didn't Stalin become Czar?