Ticklish Stuff

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 15:29:04 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 08:37:52 -0400
> From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
> Subject: Ticklish Stuff
>
> Brian is theorising about what would happen if he tried to publish an
> article, a scenario, or something useful for our gaming, with a Gloranthan
> setting.
>
> Could not the time and effort spent in worrying about this more usefully be
> devoted to *writing* an article, scenario or other desideratum with a
> Gloranthan setting?

You're assuming here that my entire thrust was to try and clarify the issue so that I could publish some of my own material. Instead, I merely trying to clarify the situation for the RQ/Glorantha community as a whole. Can we agree that RQ players have tended to hold on to what they have rather steadfastly? Many, many players (myself included) play RQ2 to this day, using RQ3 materials only as far as they can be adapted for use in the older system. Now that GtG is on the way, that situation will only get worse, as RQ2 and RQ3 players that refuse to switch are forced to adapt GtG materials to fit their games. What I was discussing was RQ players' rights to continue to use the product they purchased if they choose to. My goal here was a little broader than the narrow brush you've swabbed me with...

> Then the said work could be submitted for publication to one of the
> established zines (Tales, Drastic Res), or sent here to the Daily, or
> submitted to the thus-far legendary Duck Point Press imprint, while we
> could all get on with business as usual.

Pardon me, I mean no disrespect to anybody here, but don't you think it's even a tiny bit presumptuous for you to assume that everyone who wants to publish something would want to publish in Tales, Drastic Resolutions, etc.?

> Any attempt to turn these generous publication guidelines into a formal
> renunciation of Greg's Gloranthan trademarks is doomed to ignominy,
> failure, and social disgrace. And rightly, too.

I made no such attempt. I merely discussed some of the vague areas and asked for a clarification...

> So why do you need to keep questioning this unlooked-for boon, in such a
> hackle-raising, trademark-infringing manner?

I'm sorry if your hackles were raised, but not everyone's were...