heroes

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 21:37:19 -0800

Mike Cule challenges us
>By the way, let me challenge those who think that a limit on the
>lifetime of Heroes isn't indicated: how many Heroes can you think of who
>did more than one major Quest? How many did more than two?

        Off hand, without trying very hard - Harmast, Hon-Eel, Arkat, Yanafals Tarnils, Alakoring Dragonbreaker (presuming there were Heroquests inolved in the founding of the Rex cult), Argrath, Sartar, Takenegi, Sheng Seleris, Jannisor. Give me a chance, and I'm sure I could think of more - it strikes me that these are only the heroes that we know the most about. There are no doubt other heroes that performed major quests we don't know about, due to incomplete information, as most of the heroes that we do know a full life history for seem to have performed quite a few major events during their life. On the other hand, examples of forced retirement to the heroplane seem somewhat lacking - certainly there are heroes that apotheosise, Sartar and Arkat for example, but its not at all clear that they do so unwillingly.

someone (possibly Mike)
>My feeling is that it can happen for a while and then you start hitting
>the point of diminishing returns. This is true of the majority of
>Heroes.

        My feeling, on the other hand, is that precisely the opposite is true - being an experienced hero makes your heroquests after that point easier, not harder, unless you messed up on an earlier one (or I guess unless you were particularly stupid and chose particularly bad combinations of quests). As a counter challenge, anyone want to show an example of an experienced hero who obviously isn't as capable as they used to be (ie run out of will)?

        In any case, there seem to be so many examples of heroes who go on quest after quest, that it certainly seems that if there is a point of diminishing returns, its damn high, well above what most heroes ever achieve, and should probably be left out of the rules accordingly (and individual GMs can create their own versions if they think their players warrant it - ie are more 'heroic' than, say, Hon-Eel or Harmast).

Cheers

        David