heroes, muffins

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 01:00:17 -0800

        In reply to Nicks nomination of Harmast as a hero who has performed more than two major quests, Mike Cule rather cunningly redefines all but 2 to be 'not known to be major'. Sorry, Mike, but I think Harmast obviously qualifies to all but the most pedantic defense, and there are numerous others.

>But also note that Harmast is a big cheese Hero, if not as big as Arkat
>then certainly the second rank Hero of his day.

        Yeah, sure Mike. But the point was not whether doing half a dozen major quests was easy, the point is it is possible, and no 'running out of will' or similar seemed to happen to him. Ergo, proof by example that it certainly doesn't happen to everybody, and thus shouldn't be a universal mechanic.

        And while a tough guy, in most other respects Harmast is a pretty average heroquester. No superhero status, no infinity runes, no illumination (as far as we know, but he doesn't seem the type). He shows that heroquesters can just keep on going.

>Well, yes. What I am assuming is that the more stuff (POW/WILL
>Whatever...) you have invested in the Hero/God Plane the harder it is
>for you to return to the Mundane World.

        Again, we have examples that seem to indicate this isn't necessarily so. While Arkat did eventually ascend, he hung around on the mundane plane, doing relatively mundane things (founding kingdoms, ruling) for some 75 years.

On a different matter, muffins
>It's similar to (but not at all the same as) an Australian Toaster Biscuit
>(no, that's not some kind of cookie). Both are similar to (but not at all
>the same as) a crumpet.

        Muffin in Australia refers to two different but similar things, being a sort of not as sweet cupcake shaped cake thing, or flattish toastable thing quite similar to an Australian Toaster Biscuit. I'm not sure which of these is 'English'. In fact, the Australian Toaster Biscuits that David was kind enough to supply while I was his guest, would almost certainly be known as muffins in Australia, and most certainly not as a Toaster Biscuit (for a start, biscuit in Australia refers to what the American barbarians call a cookie). A crumpet is rather similar in size and function, but generally refers to a thing unique in its more batter like dough, and plethora of small holes on top for butter, honey, melted cheese etc to drip into. Vaguely like a 2cm thick pancake, except not as floppy.

        That Australian Toaster Biscuits were allegedly Australian was very odd, as they are unknown in Australia. The same with the rather pleasant Australian Shepherd dog I met at Davids house (Pam says Australian shepherds are originally basque, and not at all Australian). Americans are odd.

        Cheers

                David