more OOO

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 08:02:04 -0500

David Dunham:
> The fact that he both is and isn't strongly hints that it's (at least in
> later years) an office, not a person. It's really easy to prove you're not
> a troll if no fact you aren't.

        The Only Old One is/was the son of Argan Argar (not a troll) and Esrola/Ernalda, also not a troll. Proving that he was a troll by HQ would have been the hard part, IMO.

        What has this to due with OOO being an office? I always figured the Shadowlands as sort of a land-grant from his parents.

Jane Williams:
> ...He "contacted a great spirit: one that could guide and
> protect many tribes - which could protect a kingdom".
> Questions:
> 1) The easy one, I hope - given a spirit that size, just how do you
> get it home?

        You don't 'get it home'. You arrange for a new (or alter an old) ritual that allows you to contact the spirit from home. Orlanth's Stead in the GodPlane is no closer to Ralios than it is to Sartar, after all.

> 2) Stone Ram question: see above, the ram became the 'focus'.

> 3) A bit less practical: the Westfaring given as the start of the LBQ
> doesn't seem to involve acquiring spirits and taking them home.

        Sounds like experimental HQing to me.... But I'm not a big LBQ fan. Perhaps there is a lesser spirit encounter in a full LBQ that gets glossed over due to the magnitude of the complete quest. Then if you only do the Westfaring, little bits of it become more important.

> 4) Do we agree that this giant protective spirit was destroyed in 1602?

        How about the ritual binding it to the Stone Ram is reversed/ severed/destroyed sending it back where it came from? Then Kallyr doesn't have to 'acquire it' at all. She just has to know about the original ritual and be able to repeat it (takes care of question 6, too).

> 5) If we do, is replacing it a prerequisite to re-lighting the Flame?

        No idea. Perhaps it isn't necessary, but makes it easier?

???????
>I'm assuming you _can_ simply abort a Quest, as His Gregship has said
>as much, though I'd be inclined to question this for "deeper" quests.

        I would imagine that 'aborting' a quest is a gray-scale sort of thing. It's easy to just quit if you're doing a low-level quest, or if you goof up on the Westfaring (you go home and try starting the LBQ again).

        The more powerfull the Quest, and/or the farther in you are, the harder it is to stop. If you're in the middle of the GodPlane, then aborting the quest leads to the 'how the heck do I get out of here' phase. Which may be an experimental HQ, finding a way home....

Me:
> (Besides, everybody knows that Sandy Petersen is the OOO, :-))

V.S. Greene:
> So, if Sandy Petersen is the OOO and the OOO is an office, then is
> Sandy Petersen not a person but an office? :)

        Sandy Petersen is a multiple personality, witness the fact that he appears in the Mythos deck four times.

Andrew Joelson				    joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com  -|-
aka Rupert von Harl; Cults of Seven Mothers, Yanifal Tarnils and Humakt |  "Contradiction? No, I always did tend to kill chaos creatures anyway" /