'English' muffin

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 11:47:39 -0400

David Dunham answered Philip Hibbs asking

> what the hell is an "English Muffin"?

The likely reason for confusion: when I first visited the USA in the 80's= ,
I was amused to find a kind of =

cake called an 'English Muffin' which at the time I had never seen in England (or even Britain). In recent =

years these have started to be sold in Britain, called 'muffins', often o= n
the same shelf as what was and still is called a muffin here.

The old-style muffin is a disk-shaped bread-type item, perhaps half an in= ch
thick and three inches across, =

suitable for splitting in half and toasting. That seems to be what David=

was talking about.

Andrew Barton