Re: various

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 19:25:49 +0000

This Digest is too big for Pegasus Mail to reply to properly again....

Nick said:
> The simple answer is that "unpublished" sounds suspiciously like "not
> yet published", or "publishable but inexplicably overlooked". It
> implies that there is some finished, worthwhile and
> auctorially-approved motherlode of material out there, which the
> Military/Industrial Complex (or Evils of Capitalism, or Declining
> Gaming Market, or favourite other boogeyman) won't allow to see print.
> This is not the case, and is a belief I'm happy to squash.
I'd always assumed "unpublished" implied "might be published someday, given the time to polish it". Which is a state of affairs I'm all too familiar with! The pre-polishing notes may well still be of interest, even if not as useful as the post-polishing release. We don't have to accept them as gospel - we don't have to accept anything as gospel! But their unfinished state does not automatically qualify them as rubbish.

> As Greg *is* a publisher, and has not seen fit to publish some of the
> "apocrypha" (i.e. jottings, rough drafts, juvenalia, and other
> contents of his filing system at Chaosium),
- -.. then maybe he's as short of time as the rest of us?

Trotsky kindly explained Worldly:
> I see the point, but that wasn't the way we used to play it. We saw
> Worldly more as liking a lot of comfort in your life. So, yes, you would tend
> to be money-grabbing, but not necesserily a miser (i.e. someone who never
> spends it on anything much, just hoards it like Scrooge). Pious meant
> 'ascetic', which is kind of different from Generous, IMO.
Isn't this more like Indulgent? Like I think I said, there's a Xstianity hang-up about ascetism being a form of piety, that really doesn't fit in Glorantha at all.

> However, I agree that the trait needs to be called somethinf different,
> and maybe changed quite radically, to make all this much clearer.
Agreed!

>From way back in the past..
> Speaking of which, what the hell is an "English Muffin"?
Well, I know what an ordinary muffin is, though an accurate description will require a higher Cookery skill than mine. Sort of like a bread roll, only not as nice (YTMV). You split it and toast it, then add butter. Or don't, in my case. I prefer crumpets.

Whether this describes an English Muffin I don't know. After all, a Cor Anglais is nothing like a horn.

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml