Yet more on HeroQuesting....

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 11:36:18 +0100

David Cake he don't believe me:
>Mike Cule
>>Something about HeroQuesting uses up your
>>mortal life until there is nothing left for you but an immortal life.
>
> Says who? We have a few examples where this does not seem to be
>true, and even some of the most visible examples (Arkat, for example) are
>highly dubious (why did Arkat hang around for 75 years after most of his
>heroquesting was complete?). Most of them seem to end their career by the
>more traditional method of dieing.
>
>>We need a point
>>at which the Hero can no longer continue to shuttle back and forward
>>between the Hero Plane and the Mundane Plane.
>
> I think its far from clear that this is an inevitable consequence.

Well, I have assumed this from descriptions that Greg has given of the usual course of a hero's career. I think the heroes who have long careers are the exception rather than the rule. I think that the average Hero (a weird concept) is more like Whatshisname Greydog than Arkat: one big deed and then off.

If this isn't so then will someone explain to me why Pavis isn't still the ruler of his city today. He was a half-elf hybrid so even if Herodom hadn't given him immortality he would still most likely have had it. So what made him enter the temple and never leave becoming the deity of his city?

And I'm not able to recall an example of a Hero who dies on the Mundane Plane and still goes on being worshipped (well, outside of Malkioni Saints that is). Go on, deluge me with couter examples.....

And let me say again, it doesn't get harder to HeroQuest the further youy go on. What gets harder is returning to the Mundane world.