more Harmast

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 15:24:08 -0500

Jose Ramos wrote:
>Harmast, I think, was just an orlanthi whose make up was perfectly tuned
>to the LBQ. So once he set up in the path of a hero, he tended to use the
>LBQ, or fragments of such to solve all his troubles (so he did it twice!).

Jeff Richard:
> When I read Harmastsaga, I did not get this impression. Harmast mucked
> up the LBQ and got lost in Ralios. As for using fragments of the LBQ -
> I got the opposite impression. It seemed that every myth-path that
> Harmast knew got thrown into the LBQ.

        I haven't read the Harmast Saga, but I have heard parts of it read aloud. I was under the impression that Harmast set out to LBQ knowing that his knowledge of the myths was imcomplete. He made the preparations he knew he needed, then did some other prep stuff from other orlanthi quests, in case the tools would come in usefull. He expected to either rediscover the necessary steps/paths along the way, or to have to improvise (as Orlanth did many times).

        Yes Harmast 'got lost' in Ralios (or lost the path), but he mucked about with the locals a bit, and managed to get back on.

        He also had an encounter with a former wife on the God-Plane (presumable deceased, but I'm not quite positive about it), visiting the stead of a friendly being whose name I can't recall. I doubt that was in Orlanth's original, particularly since this occurred during the Westfaring.

                        Andrew

"The Muse struck me the other day, but I am recovering nicely"