Re: Fonrit

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_danet.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 97 20:02:40 EDT

> From: Peter Metcalfe <phm30_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
> A minor point: In the land where people have dark coloured skins, I'm
> not so sure they would be aware of sunburn. Even the 'whites' of Fonrit
> are probably heavily tanned.

I have heard a number of American blacks say that they DO sunburn. It is hard to see, and happens far less often than with whites, of course.

My guess from the desciptions is that it happens about as often as whites sunburn to the point of blisters. Presumably the Fonritans know enough to always wear light caftans or robes if masters, or large hats when working in the fields. Sunburn is thus reduced to an occasional childhood mistake.