Preparing for a "Major HeroQuest"

From: Benedict Adamson <ben_at_cd.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 12:15:00 +0100

On Tue, 8 Jul 97 18:18 MET DST Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de> wrote: - -..
> Isn't it (at least among the Orlanthi) the usual procedure to do lots of
> preparatory quests - not quite practice runs, some might be harsher than the
> final quest involved, but affect only the quester, not the entire support
> community - and then go to the heavy hitter for the community, arrive at a
> station and boast of the success at the preparation, and take the easier way?
>

> Like having the Lightbringer quester have undergone the Baths of Nelat: This
> gives an almost guaranteed success at the Flames of Ehilm, when the entire
> community's fate depends on the proof, whereas the Baths are more of a
> solitary quest, extremly lethal, but not dramatically so to the quester's
> community.

- -..

I agree. I seem to disagree with the consensus, believing that a HQer is _not_ guaranteed to have a quest follow the `usual' story, if the HQer is pushing hard (that is, it is a difficult quest for the quester). E.g. on the LBQ the LBers must cross the Western Ocean on Sofala's (sp?) back. A HQer pushing hard takes the risk (for a bigger gain) that Sofala decides not to help them. However, if the Orlanth actor has previously done the Seabird Killing quest, he can use use that `historical' event to convince Sofala, and so reduces
(or eliminates) that risk despite pushing hard.