Spirit answers and request

From: Thomas Gottschall <Telmori_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 12:03:37 +0200

Hi everyone,

first I would like to beg Mr. MOB for his email address, since I tried all of them that were on the digest and all failed in some way. Second, I mis digest #28 and #29, so please could someone send it to me.

Now to the real part, Jane Williams :
> Questions:
> 1) The easy one, I hope - given a spirit that size, just how do you get
> it home? Your average binding crystal isn't going to do the job, is it?

As was said before, I think Sartar negotiated with the spirit so it followed him of its own will.

> 2) It looks to me as if he eventually put it into that giant stone ram
> that guards the Flame (well, there's three of them, but only one animates
> to protect Salinarg at his coronation). The Ram seems to fit, being a
> creature Orlanth nicked from the sea, but how did he transfer the spirit
> from its carrier to the ram? Or did he put it in the ram to start with,
> and then have the thing follow him back all the way?

I think Sartar made a home for the spirit in this ram, not by forcing it but again through negotiations. Perhaps some of Boldhome's residents even worshipped the ram in some way.

> 3) A bit less practical: the Westfaring given as the start of the LBQ
> doesn't seem to involve acquiring spirits and taking them home. Am I
> missing something as usual, or is this a different myth?

I don't either know of taking spirits before the LBQ. Perhaps this has something to do with Ginna Jar, but I don't think so.

> 4) Do we agree that this giant protective spirit was destroyed in 1602?

I do not. On page 142 in KoS we find : "The spirits of the temple were driven out, the magical power stolen or polluted, and the Flame of Sartar quenched, battered, and cursed by superior magic." So I say the spirit still lived then but was homeless and no longer to protect the kingdom.

> 5) If we do, is replacing it a prerequisite to re-lighting the Flame?

No, to light the Flame of Sartar means to be a heir to the throne, nothing else IMO.

> 6) If we agree with that, when did Kallyr acquire it? I can't really see
> her picking it up in the 1614-1625 period and keeping it in storage. And
> she didn't have time to do the job herself post-Brown Dragon. Ideas?
> Would this make a high-level PC scenario for 1625, for instance?

This would certainly make a great scenario for 1625, but I prefer all the battles against the Lunars with Kallyr as the first warlord of the Sartari.

A related question : From Wyrm's Footprince we know that Argrath has a sword named the Flame of Sartar. What is the connection between the sword an the real Flame, if the is any ? - --
bye, Thomas

Visit Telmori's Forest :
http://home.t-online.de/home/Telmori/telmori.htm "Historians from England will say I'm a liar, but history is written  by those who've hanged heroes." Robert the Bruce

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #31