HeroQuest? Abort!

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 00:01:56 +0100 (BST)

Andrew Joelson quotes another Mystery Person:
> ???????
> >I'm assuming you _can_ simply abort a Quest, as His Gregship has said
> >as much, though I'd be inclined to question this for "deeper" quests.

[Stop press! In case anyone else is wondering, md_at_c.c _does_ have the most recent digests, it claims, though it seems a bit slow in actually coughing them up.]

> The more powerfull the Quest, and/or the farther in you are,
> the harder it is to stop. If you're in the middle of the GodPlane,
> then aborting the quest leads to the 'how the heck do I get out of here'
> phase. Which may be an experimental HQ, finding a way home....

I'd tend to agree with that. If you're actually, bodily in Hell, then unless you have a particular route already open to you, then you can't simply "give up". Though I gather a common route to immortality/herodom is obtaining a "back door out of hell", perhaps as this is one there's some considerable demand for...

Of course, another side of this is that you may still be "creating" a variant myth in the process. "Orlanth Robini went to Hell, and then Bravely Buggered Off."

> Sandy Petersen is a multiple personality, witness the fact that
> he appears in the Mythos deck four times.

I'm intruiged. Can you explain this one in terms comprehensible to the non-MythosHead? (Maybe this proves that Sandy is Arkat. That Greg is Arkat too presents no reall difficulty.)

Mike C. on the same:
> Arrrrghhhh! Where did he say this?

Oh, I forget. Some early article on HQing. Any of you MiG owners and/or walking Gloranclopaediae help here?

> And how the galloping fuck is it possible?

I think Greg was speaking from a perspective strongly influenced by shamanic style quests, where this is (apparently) generally possible.

Cheers,
Alex.