Dead Heroes and Fonrit

From: PHM30_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:48:04 +1200

Mike Cule:

>If this isn't so then will someone explain to me why Pavis isn't still
>the ruler of his city today. He was a half-elf hybrid so even if Herodom
>hadn't given him immortality he would still most likely have had it. So
>what made him enter the temple and never leave becoming the deity of his
>city?

Elves are not immortal in Glorantha.

>And I'm not able to recall an example of a Hero who dies on the Mundane
>Plane and still goes on being worshipped (well, outside of Malkioni
>Saints that is). Go on, deluge me with couter examples.....

Alakoring Dragonbreaker: killed by an arrow from an incredible distance.

Garangordos: murdered by a brother.

Hwarin Dalthippa: assasinated by No-print (although I have heard the real story is that she 'retired' voluntarily).

Hon-eel the Artess: killed at the Nights of Horror.

Jaldon Toothmaker: slain at the Dragonkill War.

Jannisor Moonchaser: backstabbe
d by the Elder Star Twin at Glamour.

Palashee Longaxe: slain at the battle of Karnge Farm.

Sheng Seleris: killed at the Battle of Kitor.

Talor: killed at Dorastor. Hang on, he's a Malkioni...

I don't really see what is so special about dying on the heroplane. Hercules immolated himself after putting on a poisoned shirt and was worshipped in classical times. Achilles was shot in the heel...

Simon Bray:

>Great achievement causes great jealousy
>and Garangordos was slain by his brother, who burns in hell for ever.

IMO The followers of his brother are the inhabitants of Jotuku and deny that he was motivated by jealousy. They say that he had discovered a Great Truth and proclaimed that the secret to it was that 'Everything which was forbidden is now compulsory and Everything that was compulsory is now forbidden!'. Because He had sworn to see that his brother came to no harm, he was compelled to end it forthwith.

Most Fonritans believe that the brother was motivated by [insert appropiate emotion - fanjosites would believe that lust for a woman was involved] and put defended his actions with this heresy. Nonetheless the heresy remains strong in Jotuku as it remains a safety valve for those who find their gods are too oppressive. Thus in Jotuku, you would find Fanjosites who copulate with women, slaves who run free, Afadjanni who voice seditious opinions about the Jann, Scholars who deliberately talk nonsense, Katelites who break Doraddi taboos, Doctors who harm their patients, Tondijites who prostrate themselves before their conquered gods and thieves giving to charity.

>The most powerful people in Afadjann ar the Jann himself, the High Priest of
>Darleester the Noose in Garguna, the Blue Eunuch of Barueli, the Jann's
>mother, the head of the secret police and the white skinned gardener of the
>palace.

A nitpick: The City of Baruli lies within Mondoro so why is it subject to the Jann and not the City of Fanjosi which lies between Barueli and Garguna (and presumably on the same road to Dumanaba)?

>Red Ravaal the Jann of Kumanku, Ovgormangis the usurped prince,
>Energastor the Sister Philosoper and the Jann of Thieves in Sarro
>are all impressive but have little impact.

How many of these names are from the Pamaltela book? I would have thought that the title of Jann was peculiar to Afadjann and that elsewhere in Fonrit, they have different titles.

David Dunham:

>I figured those were runes, not orthography. Just as almost every sky deity
>in Dara Happa has a rune based on the circle, so the Pelandan mountain gods
>have runes based on the triangle.

And would a Pelorian spell out the full name of Yelm every time or would he denote it with a Sun Rune? Runes are used for writing, y'know.