Ur-runes.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 01:40:57 +0100 (BST)

Robert Wolfe pouts:
> Another Broo Prince coming soon, not that anyone seems to care. <sulk>

I don't know if this counts, but would a request that it fits in <80 character lines make you feel any better? ;-)

David Weihe recalls:
> I remember reading in a very old Digest or Daily that some Frenchman
> had created a (far more) complete set of original runes, including a
> large number not currently acknowledged. Alas, I forget who it was,
> or when it was written up.

I forget too! But I saw many of the runes (I think) you refer to at Convulsion. They were, if we refer to the same runes, very much "new, improved, expanded GL rune set", rather than "original" runes. For example, there were variant runes for "lightning", or "thunder", though just as crinkle-cut as the "parent" rune.

For the best stab at "original" runes, I think some of Dan Barker's art is superb. Especially his Aboriginal Art in Wyrm's Footprints, and not forgetting his "improvements" on FGS originals in GRoY. Examples include his Celtic^H^H^H^H^H^HSartarite knotwork "mobility rune" (I want the T-shirt!), the Brooch of Manimat "sun rune", and many other golden greats.

> I have a feeling that hsunchen God Learners (assuming that this oxymoron
> could exist) would have had a lot more than just one rune for beast. At
> a minimum, predators and prey would require different ones.

I don't know if he thought of this one, but it sounds like exactly the sort of thing M. Artiste Runique would have done. ;-)

Apologies for forgetting the gentleman's name so thoroughly, especially if he's reading this. <duck!>

Simon Bray writes:
> GCoF or Guh Cough [...] the Fortunate Strangulation [...] the Enkidusiad
> [...] the Ivory Plaque editions

Wicked, wicked boy! He shall have the soles of his feet beaten for the hideous crime of Lese' Gregiste'! Perhaps commuted due to his heroic acts in the (hopeful) Opening of the Compuserve Ban...

Mercifully,
Alex.