Re: virtues; breakfast breads; etc.

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 23:29:03 -0700

Trotsky wrote of the Worldly trait

> Well it's *like* indulgent, but not quite the same. Indulgent means you
> like eating lots of food, drinking lots of wine, etc. Under my definition of
> Worldly, I go with the sentence on p118 that describes this trait as
> '[indicating] great pleasure in mundane and profane delights such as fine
> clothes, comfortable furnishings, good music and poetry, and the best
> company'.

This is no doubt why I considered this trait as an Issaries virtue.

Bill McKinley wrote

> As for Australian toaster biscuits, let me just say that I was born in
>Australia and have lived all my life here and have never ever heard of an
>'Australian toaster biscuit'. Perhaps the original poster was confusing
>them with pop tarts?

Look, I know the difference between Australian toaster biscuits, English muffins, crumpets, scones, and pop tarts, French toast, and regular toast (I confess to ignorance about fried bread, but I have a pretty good idea, thanks to MOB's description of it as fried bread). They're all different. (As are pancakes and waffles, but they're made from poured batter, so they're altogether different. Furthermore, I know the difference between cookies and biscuits.)

If any Australian comes to Glorantha-Con V and needs to be introduced to Australian toaster biscuits, I'd be happy to assist. (Actually, they're pretty good with vegemite on them.)

Peter Metcalfe rejoined

> >I figured those were runes, not orthography. Just as almost every sky deity
> >in Dara Happa has a rune based on the circle, so the Pelandan mountain gods
> >have runes based on the triangle.
>
> And would a Pelorian spell out the full name of Yelm every time
> or would he denote it with a Sun Rune? Runes are used for writing,

Sure, but they're not part of a writing system, any more than when I write a triangle to mean "delta" as in "change" or a Mars glyph to mean "male." Triangle and Mars aren't letters. (They might be considered ideographs.) Oh, and I sometimes write the upside-down A for "every" (as in the universal quantifier).

Dara Happan does seem to be an alphabet derived from runes, so I don't want Pelandan to be the same.

Thomas Gottschall wondered

> From Wyrm's Footprince we know that Argrath has a
> sword named the Flame of Sartar. What is the connection between the
> sword an the real Flame, if the is any ?

Probably either it is the Flame (misinterpreted) or he has no such sword. All those stats were made up by Dave Hargrave, who to the best of my knowledge was no Glorantha-phile (alas, the past tense is because he no longer has a mundane existence).

The inclusion of the stats is a joke by the Tales crew, and you shouldn't pay them much attention. Treat them as clever decoration for the Dan Barker illustrations.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #35