Undigestion.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 16:14:10 +0100 (BST)

Paul Chapman comments, squeamishly, in The Lost Digest (#15):
> Undigesting software. Eeuch, what a terrible word that is... "Undigesting"!

It does have a certain unfortunate connotation or two to it, I'll grant.

> Alex, the software you suggest sounds great. Is it shareware or is it going
> to hit me where it hurts (in the wallet)?

The software I personally use is (confusingly) called "digest", and is a Perl script stolen from part of an "elm" distribution. It's written by a member of the League for Programming Freedom, so payment is probably not merely non-compulsory, but actually forbidden. (It's freeware, which is an oft-ignored difference from "shareware".) There are also C programs to do the same things, and some mail (and news) clients support a similar feature internally, so all you Windoze victims out there may still find something which does the same thing, even if the particular program I use is useless to you.

> Is it an add-in or a standalone e-mail client?

Neither, it runs as a "filter" on the contents of my "Glorantha" mail box, even as they're added, before I run a mail program on it at all. Apparently elm-heads can also use it as a sort of as-and-when filter, message-by-message (I don't use elm, so this is anecdotal).

> If it is an add-in, is it compatible with Eudora Pro 3.0
> which I am (smugly) using?

>From my personal experience with Eudora, you have my deep sympathy,
though no specific advice (other than the obvious, which I'll suppress).

I'd presume either running it on your mailbox beforehand, before Eudora gets a chance to mangle it, or finding an undigester which "plugs into" Eudora (whatever that involves) would be the way to go.

Good luck,
Alex.