Misunderstandings

From: Thomas Gottschall <Telmori_at_t-online.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:54:52 +0200

Hi everyone,

> He then adds a couple of comments that I don't quite understand:
> >> 5) If we do, is replacing it a prerequisite to re-lighting the Flame?
> >No, to light the Flame of Sartar means to be a heir to the throne,
> >nothing else IMO.
> I though "to light the Flame" meant, well, to cause the Flame to be all
> hot and firey again. It does seem that only blood-heirs of Sartar can get
> any sort of response from it, but more than that must have been needed, or
> Kallyr would have re-lit it prior to 1613. I can think of several
> possible prerequisites, myself, with this being the most doubtful, but it
> does look as if I'm misunderstanding your point.

Ok, I just wanted to say that only rightful heirs could make it brighter and burn higher. I think that Kallyr couldn't do it before because the Kingdom of Sartar wasn't full behind her. But with the support she had a chance to light it. Perhaps you _must_ have the support of the Sartari, for this is a sign that you are the rightful king or queen. And maybe it was believed that only descendents of Sartar could get this support.

> >> Would this make a high-level PC scenario for 1625, for instance?
> >This would certainly make a great scenario for 1625, but I prefer all the
> >battles against the Lunars with Kallyr as the first warlord of the
> >Sartari.
>
> I don't see how this conflicts. I'd assumed Kallyr didn't have time
> post-1625 to go off spirit hunting precisely because she was, among
> other things, leading Sartarite armies against the Lunars. Therefore,
> she might delegate this sort of job to PCs. Again, I seem to have
> misunderstood you. Want to try again?

This doesn't conflict but I like "my" Kallyr to be more a warrior and less a heroquester. IMG she's uniting the clans, visiting the Telmori (hail them!), the Thunder Brothers and Argrath White-Bull. So she hasn't got the time to go off and hunt spirits. See, IMO the spirit isn't needed to relight the Flame. It's the support of the people what counts.

> Finally he raises a brand new question:
> > From Wyrm's Footprince...
> "Prints"? Or is this a subtle joke I'm missing?

No, my keyboard just went mad.

> > .. we know that Argrath has a sword named the Flame of Sartar. What is
> > the connection between the sword an the real Flame, if the is any ?
> That's a very nice question. My first thought would be "none at all
> except Argrath's over-developed ego". But the sword did have some magical
> properties, didn't it? Not knowing the system in which they were
> written up, I'm not too sure what they were. Anyone want to translate

It seems to me like another of D&D's magical swords. Flaming, sentient and secret-door detecting. Boring ? Yes. I know that this is not the origin of the sword but I like it anyway : What if the sword was made of metal from the brazier of the real Flame ? - --
bye, Thomas

Visit Telmori's Forest :
http://home.t-online.de/home/Telmori/telmori.htm "Historians from England will say I'm a liar, but history is written  by those who've hanged heroes." Robert the Bruce

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #37