Perception

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 19:08:50 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:14:34 -0400
> From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
> Subject: HeroQuesting
>
> So this man who still plays RQ2 (wondering why nothing's coming out for
> that
> game), and apparently *HATES* RQ3, thinks *we're* the reactionaries... :-=
> )

Please, please, don't take chunks out of Robert's and MOB's posts and turn them into "Brian wonders"...I'm having a hard enough time defending myself as it is... :)

I do not wonder why no commercial RQ2 product is coming out; give me some credit, I don't believe I've said anything that patently impractical and insane. And, while I appreciate Robert's speaking up on my behalf, I do not "*HATE*" RQ3, either...I've just never had any compelling reason to switch. I use RQ3 stuff all the time. I believe I fall into the same category as about 70% of the people (I don't have the article here and can't confirm, please don't crucify me over this number) who responded to that Tales survey a while back: someone who still plays RQ2 or a RQ2/RQ3 hybrid...

> Y'know, Brian, the mechanics are the *last* things I pay attention to whe=
> I'm reading anything written for Glorantha. This gives me a few hiccups
> when
> something like Robert's broo (gross stats, not much plot) gets posted her=
> e,
> but I'd be *delighted* to turn a blind eye to any stats and read the
> doubtless
> insightful, moving and enjoyable RQ adventures, campaign notes, settings,=
>
> NPC
> descriptions, etc. that you've been entertaining your gaming group with f=
> or
> all these years. The roolz don't matter: your ideas are all that matter!

I respect and understand your opinion on this, and ask you to do likewise for those who *do* want more RQ playable material. I firmly believe that there are a large number of people reading this digest who spend much of their time picking through it for pieces like Robert's that they can actually use in their campaigns. Unfortunately, these people are remarkably silent; but they exist, I swear :)...

You said you don't care about the "roolz" for Glorantha material; but I think there are still plenty of people around for whom RQ/Glorantha are not entities that can be so easily segregated. Something I *do* wonder is what is going to happen to those people; will they move to GtG, will they be allowed to continue playing RQ and distributing material to do so, or will they leave the RQ/Glorantha community entirely?

I'd better stop talking now before I get myself in some more hot water...