Tickled Pink

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 03:45:19 -0400

Brian writes:

> You said you don't care about the "roolz" for Glorantha material...

No: I said "The roolz don't matter: your ideas are all that matter!", and=

that "the mechanics are the *last* things I pay attention to". Now, I *do= *
care about the rules, but less than I care about Glorantha. (Hell, I spen= t
*weeks* working over the RQ4 draft, before that project was killed). But = if
the precise edition of the rules you adhere to prevents you from enjoying= ,
or being able to use, some good Gloranthan material, something's gone wro= ng.
Some *great* Gloranthan scenarios are rules-lite or rules-free: just look=  =

at "A Loaf of Bread, a Jug of Wine, and Thou" (Tales #15) for an example.=

> I think there are still plenty of people around for whom RQ/Glorantha a=
re
> not entities that can be so easily segregated. Something I *do* wonder
> is what is going to happen to those people...

Erm... There is currently *no* connection between RuneQuest and Glorantha= ,
other than historical. Avalon Hill *cannot* print any more Gloranthan RQ supplements, and Chaosium have no rights to the name "RuneQuest". But we'= ll
keep on playing RuneQuest in Glorantha, and holding RQ-based Gloranthan conventions, and publishing RQ/Glorantha fanzines, and so far there's bee= n
not the slightest suggestion from anyone that we should stop this at once=

'cos it's illegal.

(The nearest we got was, apparently, some confused noises out of Avalon H= ill,
back while they were *still* publishing Gloranthan RuneQuest, convincing = some
con organisers that AH didn't want any games *other* than RuneQuest to be=

played at an event called RuneQuest-Con. This is (AFAIK) why the name of = the
Cons was changed to the much less-evocative "Glorantha-Con". At which poi= nt,
of course, Avalon Hill complained that the name "RuneQuest" had been drop= ped
from the conventions... It makes you want to laugh *and* cry, sometimes).=

> Will they move to GtG...?

There *is* no G:tG. If one happens, and I can understand it, and like it,=

and have time to play it, then maybe I'll switch. Unless carrying on gami= ng
with an RQ2/RQ3/Pendragon hybrid system (as at present) seems more fun. P= art
of the reason the rules don't matter is that most of us have invented our=  own
incompatible hybrid systems anyway, so that printing a "by-the-book" perf= ect
set of RQ3 stats isn't particularly useful to the "average Tales reader" (who'll have to convert them anyway).

Another part is that different groups play at different levels: someone l= ike "Horntail" (thanks, Robert, for the timely example!) would be ridicul= ously
dangerous to some campaigns, embarrassingly trivial to others. So, given = the
choice between printing three paragraphs of new Gloranthan information or=  a
three-paragraph-equivalent set of RQ stats ("Nick's eyes glaze over at th= e
sight of so many numbers"), I know which way I'd jump.

BTW, have you ever *tried* proof-reading a RQ NPC for publication. Boring= ,
boring, boring. The four-armed family from "Shadows on the Borderlands" i= s
completely understandable... I wouldn't wish this job on a dog. (You know= ,
we lost a couple of pages of RQ stats from Tales #13: the designer didn't=

notice he'd left them out, 'cos his eyes glazed over whenever he looked a= t
them).

> Will they be allowed to continue playing RQ and distributing material t=
> do so...?

How do you think Chaosium, or Avalon Hill, or the United States Governmen= t,
or *anyone*, could say you weren't "allowed" to carry on playing Gloranth= an
RuneQuest? Where does this paranoia come from? What has happened to make = you
fear the worst, other than Chaosium explicitly *allowing* amateur Glorant= han
publications?

I guess all I'm really saying is, please don't turn "fair use" (which is,=  as
the name suggests, fair enough) into an implausible excuse for flagrant a= nd
deliberate copyright violations ("All my players need photocopies of 'Cul= ts
of Prax' to play games set in Glorantha: Chaosium must have known they wo= uld
when they first printed it. It's their fault it's been out of print for s= o
long, making it impossible for anyone to join my gaming group, so I'll ju= st
start making full copies of the book for anyone who asks, selling them at=

cost price to keep the game system alive...").

The boat's still afloat, and I don't really want to start rocking it just=  now.
That's all.

> Or will they leave the RQ/Glorantha community entirely?

We can't stop them, can we? It's still a free country, last time I looked= =2E
If they do get interested in "boys and nylons", good luck to 'em! All we can do is keep printing RQ/Glorantha material and hope people are still interested enough to keep reading and playing the game. It's lucky we get=

so much encouragement (and a charitable blind eye) from the two companies=

involved, eh?

::::
Nick
::::=