RQ numbers and Darksense

From: Jose Ramos <Jose.Ramos_at_Univ-Angers.fr>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 10:48:22 +0200 (METDST)

        Brian defends RQ2 as still popular. I just have to make the point that the RQ3 players in Europe and Japan outnumber "all" english language RQ players. The fact that they are scantily represented in the Digest is mainly a question of language. Conversely, there is a lot of RQ-Glorantha material in languages different than English (specially in japanese, it seems). It is not a criticism, it is just a true situation that should not be ignored. That's why the possible Glorantha renaissance is in the hands of an italian company and the new Nomad Gods is in French.

        We should think more of the several thousand players in different countries, and not only the 500+ digesters. How, I am not sure and I have no time.

        The Trollkin enigma:

        I have always assumed that trolls have an almost inexistant inconscious control on several body functions. So a hungry troll will slaver, and unless she is consciously trying to hide herself, growling softly. Equally, an angry troll will grunt and roar, and a frightened troll will whimper. A human could not notice the difference, but for a troll they are as expressive as a face for us. Some trolls, of course, can keep a "poker face", and control most of their body expressions, but most don't bother. I think there are some examples in this line in Trollpak (give the girl some appetizing tidbits until her growling becomes a snort of happiness).

        So the trollkin will know if auntie Crush is slavering, angry and striking the walls, and as a good Value she will push her assistant trollkin against auntie while she ducks and escapes. Life is tough!

        Bon appetit, auntie,

Jose