loosing yurself?

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:20:20 -0500

Michael Cule:
> That becoming a God is a trap. That in making yourself into a
> transfinite being you loose what is most valuable to yourself, that is
> you loose yourself.

        I have a couple of problems with this. The first is that no Gloranthan diest would look at this as a trap. Maybe a kralorean mystic or western knight would consider it a Wrong Thing, but not the way you are putting it here. (A kralorelan would probably say you took a wrong turn on the path of enlightment.....)

        Second is that you do not loose yourself. You lose your ability to change. You stamp yourself onto the Godplane so hard that you become fixed, and inflexible. You had better be comfortable with yourself the way you are, because your personality will no longer change. Instead of questing to become like Orlanth, people will be questing to become like you...

M Anderson:
> Can one of the organisers please mail me with information on exactly
> which of the residences we are supposed to turn up to, or alternatively,
> where registration will be held?

        I second this request, and would also like some info on the bus routes from the airport to downtown Victoria and/or University...

David Cake:

>	.... But often one side will gain the ascendency (though I suspect

> even in those cases, the losing side will work out how to lose less
> dramatically eventually), and start taking their regular beating (the
> forces of Winter in the Kalikos quest, frex).....

        Not true, as far as I could figure out. The effects of Winter were slowly and steadily depressed as the years turned into decades...

>	... And if a Yelmalion killed ZZ, skipped out the quest there with

> his new fire powers, he will eventually meet up with the powerful chaos
> he has unleashed - ......

        ?? Why? Where? When? Who says he 'unleashed' anything. Greg said that you can find Yelmalions with Fire Powers at GC II/San Francisco. (His point at the time was that for every Yelmalion with Fire Powers you will find a ZZ'er who lost them....)

        The last time I raised this subject on the digest (more than a year ago), the consensus was that getting Fire Powers and quitting was bad only in that you lost your chance to get immortality, and which is better?

>	Yeah, its hard. But I think the important thing is a really good

> idea of the specifics of the mythic landscape - and I'm with Jeff Richards
> on that one, knowing the myths well is the most important thing.

        I am in full agreement with you here. I have always thought that a mjaor part of the training that makes Lunar Travellers and Journeyers so dangerous is that they spend a lot of time boning up on myths and legends. Lunar, Solar, Orltanthi, Carmanian.... The more symbols you can see and understand while on the GodPlane, the better, if you are 'exploring'. The Lunars a re very cosmopolitan baout this, and have exposure to myths from all over the place.....

                        Andrew

"The Muse struck me the other day, but I am recovering nicely"