Belintar

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 18:21:31 +0100

Belintar
> >I'm really interested in this guy. He did in some way 'best' each of
> >the lands of the Holy Country (another name which gives totally wrong
> >associations for me, so I call the place Maniria
>
> I usually say "Kethaela" when I want to avoid the Outremer connotations, but
> I think that these are correct for the Westerners (Trader Princes) who
> settled there.

As mentioned, I meant Kethaela when I said Maniria (see earler posting). Why do the Trader Princes think of the place as "holy", BTW?
> [Belintar's tricks gaining control:]
> >That gives a pattern. Now, how did he get similar power over
> >Heortland, Caladraland and the Rightarm Islands?
>
> I've been desperately wondering about this myself, and in discussions.
> According to Stephen Martin (who co-originated this idea with Nick on
> Convulsion '94, IIRC) in Caladraland he was thrown into the Vent but married
> the Volcano goddess instead. A bit too similar to Esrolia for my taste.
Hm. What goddess is that? Caladra? Wait, I know! He used his time-travel-powers to quickly teleporting back and forth in time, becoming his own twin and thus the closest related twins in history. Then they had to make him High Priest! (No, I'm not serious).

> The
> Islands event might have been his raising of Loon Island (presumably the
> basis for the City of Wonders).

I can see the Rightarm Islanders would gain respect for anyone who could raise an island, but... What's the special significance of Loon Island?

> >Is there anything said about this in say RQ Companion?
>
> Not verbatim. A couple of his exploits are mentioned:
>
> : Belintar revealed that he had come to depose the Only Old One and liberate
> : the land from darkness. He did this through the process of mustering ancient
> : allies on Heroquest and opposing the magical forces which aided the Only
> : Old One.

Trollish guys? Who are the right 'ancient allies' to beat up trolls? Light beings?

> Belintar called forth many of the Silver Age heroes, plus others
> : of more recent or a different origin [possibly including the Volcano twins,
> : and likely (St.) Aeol].

Suddenly my capacity for odd and weird associations made me think of Marvel Comic's Secret Wars...

>The process was long and difficult. At one point
> : Belintar was slain and completely devoured. But in the end he succeeded.
> : He met the Only Old One himself in combat and cast him down and cut him
> : in pieces. Then he pulverized the Castle of Black Glass, covering all of
> : Shadow Plateau with a dense, heavy black sand which smothers most life.
> : He made other changes in the land too: raising Loon Island and fabricating
> : the City of Wonders in the center of the Mirrorsea. He then took the title
> : of Pharaoh and began his rule.

> >And in which order did these
> >thing happen? I like the idea that every 'besting' gave him things he
> >needed for the next one. Anyone who has a clue, or an idea?
>
> Start with either Caladraland (currently favoured by me) or Rightarm Islands
> (Sindpaper was his first stop, but he needn't have performed his 'besting'
> already then.)

> >The High Chairperson of the IOGTR,
>
> Time for me to come out and join publicly... but you didn't catch _me_ with
> my pants down.

Welcome!

"When the Pharao moves, Mastakos stands still." Old Kethaelan saying.

"The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea, in a beautiful pea-green boat..."
>From "The Owl and the Pussycat" by Edward Lear

Erik Sieurin
bv9521_at_utb.hb.se
Bodagatan 39, 2 tr