Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #35

From: Thomas Lindgren <thomasl_at_csd.uu.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 22:46:38 +0200 (MET DST)

>From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
>>I hope not. I don't see Esrolia as hot and/or dry enough to have natural
>>mummification (though I don't know what Belintar's homeland is like), but
>>in any case, I dislike the Egypt identification that seems to have spread
>>thanks to the title of the Pharaoh.
>
> Actually, I like the mummies of Esrolia not because of the Egypt
>reference, but because
>a) The Ty Kora Tek cult is the only group we know to be skilled at
>preparation of dead bodies specifically, thus the one most likely to be
>skilled at mummification.
>and
>b) there is a Necropolis in Esrolia, which sounds like the sort of place
>that mummies might live (and I can't think of a better candidate).
> I agree that the Egypt identification is a bit overdone, but I
>don't mind it in moderation. And I want the Necropolis to be full of
>mummies. I've been meaning to set an adventure there for ages.

Yes! I wholeheartedly agree. Given the nature of Esrolia and all, I'd say old and powerful matriarchs are mummified and continue to exist to rule their clans from crypts and sarcophagi. A council of the embalmed that advise or rule the living of their clan (depending on the clan temperament).

They stay below ground to maintain ties with Earth. Over time, they'd probably have to creep lower and lower below ground to strengthen these ties, until they pass into the Underworld and are no longer available except for divination. (Alternatively, they are gradually and inexorably drawn into the Underworld, but rituals and power can slow this passage or halt it for a time.) The grandmother/crones from Hell. Or going to Hell. (This makes me think of the Tombs of Atuan, somehow.)

This implies mummification while still alive, a somewhat trollish ritual what with taking out the innards and all. Darkness ties to the Earth cults?

                                Thomas

Not to mention that it has great opportunities for bad puns ("Go away, or I'll shout for my mummy!")