Holy Country

From: Peter Metcalfe <phm30_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 21:02:45 +1200

Erik Sieurin:

Me>> This does imply that Belintar has to do the Full Lightbringers Quest
>> but I don't think this is necessary. The FLBQ ressurects those whose
>> bodies have thoroughly decomposed (Sheng Seleris, Arkat) whereas I
>> envisiage Belintar's ritual as a shorter one which revives the King
>> after a week or so in the otherworld. (Normal ressurections didn't
>> work because of Belintar's magic).

>Which served to capture the King in the Underworld - perhaps
>something he learnt by being the Year Son in Esrolia and having a
>close encounter of the third kind with Tykkoratekk.

There is a doorway between the Courts of Silence and the Shadow Plateau. I think Belintar sidestepped the Westfaring and other quests and went straight to Hell for the King's Soul. He would have learned of the existance of this doorway when in the Courts of Silence IMO.

Perhaps he killed the Only Old One by going straight to hell (at Necropolis?) and then climbed back to the surface through the Obsidian palace, suprising the occupant?

JB>> According to Stephen Martin (who co-originated this idea with Nick on
>> Convulsion '94, IIRC) in Caladraland he was thrown into the Vent but
>> married the Volcano goddess instead. A bit too similar to Esrolia for
>> my taste.

>Hm. What goddess is that? Caladra?

You raise an interesting point here. The original god of the Volcano is Lodril and C&A was a God Learner Cult to civilize the unruly Caladralanders. However the OOO was quite happy with Lodrilite Caladralanders as he posessed the magic to subdue Lodril.

Perhaps after the OOO regains control of Caladraland, the power of the Volcano Twins is cast down and Lodril rules instead. Belintar is captured and sacrificed to the God at Vent. He mets with the goddess Caladra and erupts to earth at the Low Temple. The resulting miracle causes the Caladralanders to convert to his rediscovered cult of the Volcano twins.