Periodical Control

From: Michael O'Brien <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 01:10:19 +1000

G'day all,

Periodical Control

Stephen Martin:
>I think it is safer to say that Ken Rolston advertised Tales in the AH
>supplements, rather than Avalon Hill doing it directly. They gave Ken
>creative control, and he used it very appropriately, allowing Tales and
>RQ to support each other. As it should be.

In fact, I suggested AH should promote 'Tales' in RQ releases when I negotiated my SUN COUNTY contract, and wrote the ad that appears in that book. This was pre-Ken.

Avalon Hill was directly involved in promoting Tales in their publications, and saw value in doing so. Such advertisements also appeared in several of the RQ products that followed SUN COUNTY. They had a significant effect on our zine's circulation, particularly in the United States where we were not very well-known at the time.

Ken did wonderful things while he was Rune-Czar, which we all should be grateful for. But if Stephen is suggesting that he somehow slipped these ads in on the sly when Jack Dott wasn't looking, he's mis-informed.

Cheers

MOB

>From the Notes from Nochet files:

[XXIX.3424-w] Daily Life in Kopek - My Year in the Kingdom of Jonatela: "...a virgin would be whipped, before sowing, could one be found, otherwise the blue statue must be 'borrowed' from the village church. If Father Pederik intervened, crops would fail in the indignant earth..."