Darksense

From: Jim Gould <jgould_at_io.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 14:50:53 -0500 (CDT)

I am moved to applaud the concept of Darksense as working through the pervasive element of Darkness, rather than the more prosaic sonar mechanism. This assumes that darkness is not the absence of light, but a manifestation of the Darkness element, which is obscured but not destroyed by light. Sensing through the reverberations of the Darkness surrounding has better mythic appeal, as well as avoiding the well-explored limitations of sonic imaging. I can imagine the Uz viewing their Darksense as another element of their superiority over stupid hoomanz. After all, they see men sacrificing perfectly good candles, torches and oil to <insert local light deity here> just to be able to get around inside a building. Heck, those candles are expensive, and could be tasty!

Human: Of course, Light is superior. See how it drives out the dark? Uz: Pfeh. Wait for night. Better, go build box in courtyard. Make good tight box. What inside, light or dark?
Human: Er ... dark?
Uz: See! Darkness everywhere, even in light. I win. Hoomanz have to carry light with them everywhere. Uz IS Darkness, move in harmony with nature. So give those candles. Talk make hungry.

My apologies for reiterating the positions of others that I can't specifically remember. All IMHO and in the spirit of MGF. Loved the MiB!

Jim Gould
jgould_at_io.com
http://www.io.com/~jgould