jousting vs warhorses and it hit me that I've never heard of jousting existing in

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Sun Jul 13 09:53:14 1997

> Glorantha. Does it?

Me, Daniel: At the latest it exists since Ingo's live game set in Ralios which he did so much work on. Why wouldn't there be? There must be all kinds of mounted games in Glorantha, from Praxian animal races to Pentan Buskaschi.

Andrew writes:

        According to Greg's article on horses (passed out to attendees of GC IV), most horses aren't big/sturdy enough to mount a heavily armored man and charge. In fact, numerous breeds of horses widely used in Genertela would more properly be called ponies...

Me: It says MOST. Most horses wouldn't be used to carry a man in armor along with armor for the horse, but a few are. People in the supposed "RW" had been using lances before they had stirrups, and riding various sizes of horses while doing so. There have been large horses somewhere since humans started using horses.

Andrew:
 But in the real world
this was hideously expensive, good warhorse cost twenty farms or more.

Me: That is for a trained warhorse, I believe, as well as it being of a particularly large breed. The breeding, selection, and training account for a great deal of the cost.

Andrew:

        IMO this is taking the RW comparison too far, most cavalry will be of the lancer/sabre type.

Me: Not too far Andrew, but you're not looking at all the other RW examples. There is a lot more to the RW than just medieval (I looked it up. It's spelled right! he, hee!) Europe. In the RW javelins and light spears were often the major cavalry weapons, as well as lots of bow-armed cavalry. Look at the Scythians, Sarmatians, Huns, and Plains "Indians" for further examples.

I haven't been reading the sonar thing, but would take bats as my example for what trolls can do, and not dolphins. Sound travels differently thru air than it does thru water. What weapons does one use while riding bats? while riding Dolphins? While riding Trolls? Blind Troll Jousting! bye, Daniel