Son of Darksense

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 14:01:09 -0400 (EDT)

<< James:

 Benedict Adamson wrote:
>Surely they are `blinded' no ore often than a group of humans wearing
>head lamps (as miners do), and perhaps less, since the transmission
>is continual rather than continuous.

James: ? Sorry, you lost me. :( If the uz are all using an *identical* ping, then IMO they'll have trouble distinguishing between all the returning signals -- AFAIK, part of Sonar (and presumably of Dark(sonar)sense) is that you know your own location. Signals released from other sources would be confusing.>>

    Sorry, Benedict, but having checked, James is correct. Bats change the frequency of their sonar pulses when flying in flocks. Trolls probably do the same. BTW, bats can send out up to 200 pulses per second if they get really excited (or interested in something in the case of trolls) which can probably get you a lot of information in a fairly short time. Normally, they send out only one pulse every second, if all they're trying to do is avoid hitting the ground.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky