Esrolia

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 14:36:04 EDT

Nick Brooke

>(I incline towards bas-reliefs rather than wall-paintings for Esrolite
>temples: both for a "more archaic" feel and 'cos they're "visible" to
>Trolls).

This would fit in very well with sarcophogi, since the image of the deceased is therefore visible to any trolls who happen to be present at the burial. Was this the thinking behind the illustration in Wyrms Footprints, or is this just a very nice coincidence?

AH and Tales
>> I think it is safer to say that Ken Rolston advertised Tales in the AH
>> supplements, rather than Avalon Hill doing it directly.

>Bizarre. The Avalon Hill Games Company placed adverts for Tales in their
>supplements, and placed adverts for their supplements in Tales. What is
>unsafe about these statements? They would certainly make it hard to
claim=

Sorry for the confusion, this is a colloquialism which doesn't always mean "safe" any more, it means -- "I believe" or "I am confidant that" or something like that. MOB points out that Tales was advertised in Sun County, which was before Ken Rolston, byt _my_ understanding was that Ken Rolston did in fact do the final layout and editing on Sun County as well. I did not mean to imply that he snuck the ads in, as my statement said. I merely meant that if AH had been in complete control, with an in-house editor who was of the normal mindset I have come to associate with AH, then ads for Tales probably would not have been included. As I said before, AH pretty much gave Ken complete control over RQ, and trusted his judgement, and so he was able to put ads for Tales in.

These ads were very helpful, and at one time Ken talked about advertising RQAdventures as well.

>> moment of vulnerability in the ritual. Jar-Eel was not so restricted,
>> being a Lunar agent, and so she was able to slay him. The End.

>Alternatively or additionally, she was *meant* to slay him (as usual),
and
>he was *meant* to return from the Underworld, the crop-king returning,
the
>dying-and-rising god-king of Esrolia, as he had done for year after year
>since claiming his rule.

I didn't read this summary before posting it, so this line was not clear. What I wanted to say was that Jar-Eel used her earth contacts to entrench herself within the Esrolian heirarchy (probably as part of the nascent Red Earth faction, or maybe even being the originator of it), and was able to represent the Earth Goddess in the Year King ritual. So, yes, she _was_ supposed to kill the Pharaoh, so he could be reborn. But, as Nick said, she sent his soul somewhere else. I am not sure she sent it to a Lunar Hell, though -- I think she separated his Six soul parts, by preventing his Seventh Soul from returning. If the Pharaoh ever does return, IMO it will not be because he has escaped from a Lunar Hell, but because his Six Parts have come together and been reunited with the Seventh part.

Hmm, could the Pharaoh be the proto-Argrath, and we have multiple Argraths because of the scattering of the Pharaoh? When all six Argraths come together in one place, will the Seventh Soul return to take back its soul parts from the hapless mortal carriers?

This could explain why the people of Esrolia accepted one of the Argraths as their High King -- the magical leaders recognized that this Sartarite was the receptacle of one of the Pharaoh's soul-parts.

Not!

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions