HeroQuest, Death, and Bristol.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 21:45:10 +0100 (BST)

David Cake posits:
> The reason that a Yelmalion who defeats ZZ can't go on to attain
> immortality, is that by the defeat of ZZ chaos is made much stronger

I was beginning to suspect that was what you were saying, but it sounds pretty fishy. It's hard to imagine that the Yelmalians believe that ZZ not getting squished is any sort of good thing, nor do I recall anything about the structure of the myth implying this. Is this some sort of meta-mythic argument? (No-one believes it, but it's True anyway.)

As noted elsewhere, both Greg and Sandy have been implying for years and years that it is possible to succeed in the "wrong" way on this Quest. And as the "mundane" Pilgrimage version of the quest _does_ involve limited recovery of Firey Things, I don't think it's wholly wrong, either.

David Dunham quibbles:
> I don't think either was killed -- Sheng was thrown in hell to be tormented
> while alive, and Arkat presumably got stuck in a heroquest.

If being stuck in (a sort of) Hell for eternity, until someone performs a world-shakingly original Quest to free you, doesn't qualify as being Dead, then what exactly does?

Anthony Utano wonders:
> Are there any RQ/Pendragon/Elric games going on with a spot
> to spare in the Bristol area ?, or if that doesn't work, are there
> a bunch of games around Bristol who want to play ?

Having had a relatively narrow escape from working in Bristol myself, I can forward the second-hand information that there's a lot of gaming activity in and around Bristol Uni. I never investigated the specifics, but it sounded fairly promising.

Good luck,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #52