Pharaoh and Craft Gods

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 21:40:24 EDT

"Erik Sieurin" <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Far, ah oh!

>You mean he was supposed to be the Evil they summoned? (I have
>forgotten how much control you really have over that ritual) Or did
>he became the enemy without them knowing it.

My understanding of Summons of Evil is that it is sort of a prerequisite for any type of major quest, including the Sacred Time rituals. You _always_ do it, because Orlanth did it.

In this case, Belintar was not necessarily the expected evil. He could have been, if the Heortlanders already knew about him, and feared him, and tried to force him to come to them before he was ready. Otherwise, he came to them before they knew they needed to be afraid of him.

A lot of it would depend on the specific events of the time -- what order he came to the Sixths to, who he made friends with, whether the Heortlanders saw him as a likely friend or enemy, etc.

>By the way, does that mean he had a hook on Our Lady of Credit ("She
>giveth and she taketh away")?

I'm not sure what you mean by "a hook" -- but who do you think was the final player he beat at baccarat?

I unfortunately view the whole thing like that episode of (forgive me!) Fantasy Island, where the high stakes gambler wins so much that Ricardo Montelbon himself comes up for the last hand, dealing the cards himself, since Fantasy Island itself is what is on the line. There, of course, Rickie won. In Glorantha, James Bond, er Belintar, of course, won.

>Caladraland (or at least the Vent) is covered by a crystal dome of
>black obsidian. The Volcano is kept prisoner inside, and his people
>have to serve the OOO. The forces of heat work as one helluva
>leadsmithy for the OOO's troops - thing clanking victorian factory
>(he got the machinery from the God Forgotten).

I don't think so, becuase this is precisely where Lodril/Caladril and the Volcano Twins differ -- Caladril is forced to serve. The Volcano Twins are free entities, they just happen ("luckily") to be benevolent ones. But don't get them mad!

Orlanthi Craft Gods
I think there are a number of Orlanthi craft gods. For example, Brewing Beer could be considered a craft, and the god is Minlister. Gustbran the Smith is a craft god. Mahome is probably patroness of quiet, wifely-type crafts, such as sewing and stuff. One of Greg's unpublished works mentions a goddess of pottery, Pela I think. Eninta, as the midwife, might be associated with herbcraft.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com