Lunar Hells and Telmori

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 22:23:18 +0000

Nick Brooke joins in on the hell-trap idea:
> Jane writes, responding to David:
> >> The Lunar hell that Treeleaper is in is exactly the same one as
> >> Sheng is in (possibly Gerra's Hell of pure suffering).
> > And that obviously isn't where Sartar is, or where Kallyr went. Or
> > she'd have brought Treeleaper back, since he's an old friend of hers.
> Is Treeleaper a friend, or a rival, to Kallyr?
"Yes". Or at least, he was back in 1613. By 1626 he's hardly a rival.

> She always seemed rather pushily ambitious to me.
She's portrayed that way in places - but think who's doing the portraying!

> I can see her justifying leaving him in Hell, if it leads to a more
> "unified" command for her current rebellion:
And I think half her problem is that she wouldn't make a decision that callous. Just opinion - I have very little proof, other that the way she was apparently adored rather than respected by her followers.

> it would have *worked* back in '13, if only they'd let her take all the
> decisions

The way the High Council is described, this may even be correct. Committee control is never going to win a war.

> (A "Hell" isn't just one small room, BTW, unless it is. Just because
> Sheng and Hofstaring and Sartar and (any others) are all in notionally
> the same Lunar Hell, doesn't mean this is obvious to anyone going there
> to save one of them, does it?)

Thank you! And every prison has different cells, with different security levels.

> Mind you, I'm influenced by Boris Mikey's "The Day the Fire Died,"
> where Hofstaring Treeleaper gets all the sympathetic lines (and Kallyr
> runs off)

Nice! (Well, it's a viewpoint).

Where do we find the rest of it? And what's it based on, if anything?

Thomas comes up with nice ideas on Telmori as usual:
> And it was Nick or him (or both) that said that the Telmori
> disobeyed Argrath because they only serve the rightful heir to the
> throne

Of course Argrath's the rightful heir! He's got three different geneologies that prove it! :))

> And as KoS says Kallyr and the Telmori were allies and this bastard
> Argrath (I hate him for he destroys my tribe, curse him)
And my favourite heroine. Curse him!

> I wonder what Sartar himself would say to this.
Over to Denseros:
And Argrath was not burnt by the Flame. Not even a little bit. Honest. In fact, I don't know why I mentioned the possibility.

> How many Argraths are there ? Three : White Bull, Garreth Dragonspear
> and Argrath Giantfriend (the nice one) ?
I have AWB (quite nice), A of Pavis (aka. Bad Dream Enostar, aka. Arnbord son of Venharl, possibly aka. Elusu), and Garrath (Dragonspear, Giantfriend, "the" Argrath, and not the nice one at all.)

> My sources are first KoS and second my imagination, so watch out !
Sounds good to me.

> IMG Argrath is not the real King of Sartar.
I agree that his methods of geting the throne are somewhat suspect.

> He behaves so strangely doing one thing here and the opposite there.
Could you give examples here? I think I may have sorted out at least some of the contradicions, and would be interested to know of more.

> I say that man who Argrath
> is (I mean the body) is indeed the heir but his soul is not his own. He
> is either possessed or something which has the same effect.
"Illuminated" is the word I use. And a trickster, IMO.

> So some Telmori King ..come to visit Argrath and states that he knows
> the Argrath is just an usurper nothing else and that his tribe will not
> allow someone like him to sit at the throne of Sartar.
Yep! Like it!

>(not Kostajor since he is on the Heropaths in my campain to bring back life and peace, one of the oldest Kings of the Telmori, aged around 90 in 1627)
We may need to discuss this further - off line if you like. I've been told that Greg sees Kos. as being already old when he rescued Jarosar in 1565. He's got the HQ immortality trick, presumably.

> And Argrath charges at Kostajor, him standing without belief and in
> tears seeing what has happened to his tribe, Argrath holding aloft his
> sacret sword, and praying aloud to Orlanth for help and aid, and he
> slays Kostajor, the wolf who had saved Jarosar and Terasarin, the wolf
> whose wounds were cured by his own great-grandmother. This is tragedy.
It certainly is! I have Kos dying in 1630 trying to protect Kallyr from Harrek (who Argrath sent, of course). I wonder if we can combine the stories?

> I think the is a similar scene in Lord of the Rings, where a King dies
> and his whole army stormes the field) or migrate somewhere.
Theoden. Seeing him dead is bad - seeing Eowyn apparently dead is the final straw and the Rohirrim go berserk.

> Visit Telmori's Forest :
> http://home.t-online.de/home/Telmori/telmori.htm
I'll do that. Visit mine, too: the Telmori stuff is in the Kallyr section for one reason or another.

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #55