Griffin Mountain

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:07:16 -0400

Erich writes:

> I had a most amusing time and my players enjoyed Tarsh War immensly.

Hurrah! Win or lose?

> I was able to pick up Griffon Mountain while I was there (for $5 I
> might add) and I was wondering about its status. Now that Balazar is
> a Blank Land and Griffon Island was published, GM is rendered moot.
> But, is there anything that directly contradicts what is in Griffon
> Mountain. Like having Gonn Orta's castle actually be in the Nidian
> Mountains, or what have you?

AFAIK, Balazar was "officially" declared a Blank Land when Chaosium decided to rejig Griffin Mountain as the non-Gloranthan product Griffin Island. This was because it seemed unlikely they'd ever reprint it as a Gloranthan product (now there was a different version in existence), and didn't want newcomers to feel there was a large, official part of Glorantha that would never be adequately covered in printed sources.

Nothing has been done to contradict Griffin Mountain, at least not deliberately. There was a mention once of "Balazari dog-hsunchen", which looks like a typical God Learnerism rather than a "rethink". As far as I'm concerned, you can run it "straight". None of the people, places or encounters therein have been recycled, removed or reused by other Gloranthan publications. Balazar's "Blank Land" status is purely the publishers' sop to their conscience, not a declaration of non-

::::
Nick
::::