Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #56

From: Sérgio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:49:24 +0100

THIS IS AN EXCERPT OF THE DIARIES OF SERGIO MASCARENHAS WITH IS REFLECTIONS ON THE CULT OF GLORANTHA
  1. How I received the wisdom of Glorantha

It was in the beginning of the 80's that I acknowledged the existence of a new form of worship called the cults of RPG. It came to my knowledge through the arcana contained on the publications of a far away country called Jeux et Strategie and Casus Belli.

Intrigued, I decided to try it. After consulting these publications, I opted for a particular cult called Rune Quest (at the time there existed other cults like D&D, AD&D, C&S, T&T, etc. And new cults are being created all the time). RQ was the vehicle to the CUlt of Glorantha (CoG). It was in 1983. Since then I've been a distant (and most of the time non-practicing) adept of RQ. To appease my conscience, I pay my tithe by acquiring all the Glorantha related products that I can.

Through all this years I was able to gain some knowledge on the Glorantha Cult. Like all cults, it saw great changes all the way . For instance, in the end of the 80's a new sect emerged called the RQ2 Faithful. One of the original prophets - Steve Perrin - abandoned the cult. And this year the cult actually split to two different cults: the cult of Glorantha and the cult of RQ3.

Most of the time my contact with the CoG was through its Tables of Law: the written books directed at lay members and lesser cultists (like RQ2, CoT, LoT, Pavis, RoC, etc.). More recently, when the ancient magic system called Internet became more accessible to the lay people, I was able to access the inner circle of the CoG priests in a place called the Glorantha Digest (GD). That's what prompted me to write my memoires.

2. The organization of the CoG

The CoG is organized around its Prophet: Greg (when he comes to the mundane world he is also known as "Greg Staford".) Since he is the prophet, you can't contact him easily. For instance, he doesn't appear on the GD. He speaks to lay members through the Tables of Law or, if you can afford it, he can be met at the High Ceremonies of CoG called Glorantha Con and formerly known as RQCon.

Below Greg there is an Highest Priest. His name is Sandy. I myself was able to contact the Holy Highest Priest long ago and have in my and the writings he send to me in the 80's as my greatest treasure. Sandy is more easy to contact than Greg.

Next you find the High Priests: these are people that contributed to the Tables of Law. Its their arguments on the Lore of Glorantha that you find in the GD.

Those higher level cultists of Glorantha are always deepening their knowledge and understanding of their truths in endless and always more subtle arguments concerning issues related to Glorantha. Most of their discussions cannot be understood by those that don't participate on their ceremonies or don't have access to all the Tables of Law, to the Prophet Greg, and to the Hidden Writings contained in past GD and unpublished sources.

I, the most humble follower of the Cult of Glorantha, wrote this,

Sergio Mascarenhas

> James Frusetta Trollkin ecology

> Nick Brooke Handra

> David Hall Flying Moonies

> Nick Brooke Griffin Mountain

> Nick Brooke Griffin Mountain

> Nick Brooke Meta-Comment: the Sky

> Simon Bray The Glorantha Digest V5 #55

> Nick Brooke The Day the Fire Died

> Peter Metcalfe many things

> RULES OF THE ROAD
>
> 1. Do not include large sections of a message in your reply. Especially
> not to add "Yeah, I agree" or "No, I disagree." Or be excoriated.
> If someone writes something good and you want to say "good show"
> please do. But don't include the whole message you praise.
> 2. Use an appropriate Subject line.
> 3. Learn the art of paraphrasing: Don't just quote and comment on a
> point-by-point basis.
> 4. No anonymous posting, please. Don't say something unless you're ready
> to stand by it.

> Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 21:56:41 -0400 (EDT)
> From: <Mmohrfield_at_aol.com>
> Subject: Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #53
>
> Sandy Petersen writes
>
> <<Sonar is not vision, and it's not just an inferior form of vision. It's
> its own sense with its own advantages and disadvantages. It's lots
> better for determining distance and velocity than vision, for instance.>>
>
> What are some of the disadvantages?

Mark
> [...]

> Gloranthanness.
>
> ::::
> Nick
> ::::
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:07:20 -0400
> From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
> Subject: Meta-Comment: the Sky
>
> __________
> David Cake writes:
>
> > I think the real problem here is that Greg makes some comment about
> > some celestial thing that he thinks should be true, without thinking
> > for a moment about what it implies about celestial mechanics (or
> > understanding how earthly ones work particularly).
>
> Half true. Greg is *very* hot on earthly celestial mechanics (especially
> from a mythic perspective), and is well aware that Gloranthan ones are
> different. He hasn't yet worked out a consistent set of Gloranthan
rules,=

> and keeps changing the ones he does have for no readily apparent reason.
> He does want the movements of Lightfore through the constellations to
> "spell out" nightly myths, and is probably upset that, "scientifically"
> speaking (i.e. using an Ephemeris), this doesn't happen very obviously.
>
> > I think the only real answer ... is to hold down Greg and make him
> > think of the consequences of his decisions, and make him suggest which
> > relatively sane celestial mechanics he likes, and try and get him to
> > stick to it once he has chosen.
>
> Tried that. Good luck if anyone else wants a go!
>
> > If you demonstrate that making one or two changes will produce a
> > vaguely sane and earth like sky, compared to immensely complicated
> > systems with multiple spheres, and so on, he just might go for it.
>
> =2E.. or he might deliberately go for the immensely complicated system.
> Whatever we do, the Gloranthan sky is not going to end up very
earth-like=
> =2E
>
> ::::
> Nick
> ::::
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: 16 Jul 97 03:40:00 EDT
> From: Simon Bray <101635.32_at_CompuServe.COM>
> Subject: The Glorantha Digest V5 #55
>
> James A. Holden
> Jolar questions
>
> (1) How dependent on cattle or other livestock are the Right Hand
> Doraddi of Jolar? I understand that the bulk of the Doraddi population
> live a nomadic life, swapping meat for farm produce with the older,
> sedentary population of the oases. But I can hardly find any references
> to Doraddi herding practices, except for a single phrase in the
> "Pamaltela: A Visitor's Guide" summary in Tales #11, so I'm wondering
> how much of the meat comes from herding and how much from hunting. Is
> their a single, RW analog culture that would help me fill in the
> blanks?
> > The Masai are nomadic herders of cattle in the RW they are very Right
Footpath
> Doraddi like , apart from the lack of the strong matriachal background.
Their
> hunters are reknowned for their bravery and will often walk directly at a
lion
> in order to scare it away from the herds. I think the Doraddi would be
like any
> nomadic herders, relying more on the blood and milk of their cattle than
the meat,
> only older animals or young bullocks would probably be used for meat, the
rest
> would be game caught by hunters IMO.
>
> (2) What is the vegetation like in Jolar? GoG speaks of "rolling
> grasslands"; so do most of the articles in Tales #11. The Jolar excerpt
> from the Pamaltela book says, however, that the plain is covered by
> ground cover, "but includes no grass-type plants." Does the Jolar
> article represent a more current idea? If so, do the various species of
> Pamaltelan ground cover play the same role as grasses? Can livestock
> graze adequately on them? If the plains aren't savanna (which pretty
> much implies grass), what are they? Scrublands?
> > I always thought that Jolar was covered in mainly Sweet Clover, which
cattle
> adore, although it does make them a litle gassy! I think the term
grassland
> is an earthly approximation of the environment. I supoose it is really
> a cloverland. The other plants found in the environment are quite well
laid
> out in Tales #11 (did you say you had a copy? David Halls still got some
I think!)

> [...]
>
> However note the Saga refers to the use of the Black Spear in
> subduing the Telmori. This is made possible by Argrath bringing
> back the Aurochs. However Minaryth Blue doesn't note the
> presence of Aurochs in Dragon Pass until 1641! So although it
> seems to me that Argrath had numerous clashes with the Telmori
> and the Saga records one particularly noteworthy battle but puts
> it in the place of another battle with the Telmori.
>
> James A. Holden:
> ================
>
> >(1) How dependent on cattle or other livestock are the Right Hand
> >Doraddi of Jolar?
>
> They hunt rather than herd. The only people who would keep some
> sort of herds would be the sedentary Ia Rawthri IMO.
>
> >(2) What is the vegetation like in Jolar?
>
> The best description is in the Gloranthan Bestiary p2
>
> '...a huge expanse of Savannah broken by occasional wooded
> river-bottoms. No true grasses grow here, but the ground cover
> is composed of herbs, bushes, clover and similar plants. Herds
> of large herbivores roam.'
>

> >(3) What is at the root of the Arbennan tribes' conflict with the
> >Kresh? Is it simply about territory? Political independence? Culture
> >(walking vs. wagons)? Religion (new gods worshipped in or alongside the
> >Pamalt pantheon)? Is there a mythic conflict involved? Something else?
>
> I think the Kresh are slightly odd in Doraddi eyes and above all
> not-quite-right. The Doraddi may see their wagons as the return
> of the Six-Legged Empire (although the Six-leggers used horses
> and not wagons). I think the cause of the conflict is that the
> Vangono warriors find the looting of Kresh Wagons is a legitimate
> target for their energies as their Chiefs have forbidden them to
> attack almost everything else. However the plunder from the Wagons
> and the accrual of wealth in the hands of the Vangono warriors is
> destablishing Doraddi society. In a short period of time, the cult
> of Vangono has changed from a cult of psychotic hotheads into an
> attarctive way of life. However this requires continual plunder
> from the Kresh (and thus continual demonisation of the Kresh) and
> when the Kresh start to put up a fight, the stage is set for a bloody
> conflict.
>
> >The Kresh empire, "based on trust and custom rather than conquest and
> >domination," doesn't seem like a particularly threatening enemy. Does
> >anyone have any insights into Kresh society or religion that might shed
> >light on this?
>
> The Kresh have made mythic connections with the Elves and worship Aldrya
> along with Pamalt. The Kresh grow trees and get wood and magic fruit
> that can't normally be found in the plains. The trees are planted in
> secret Kresh places and grown to full maturity in a single night. Then
> the Kresh cut them down so nobody else witnesses it. This is a Big
> Secret in Glorantha and nobody outside the Kresh knows this. The Vangono

> Cult certainly wouldn't know anything about

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #58