Re: Jolar questions

From: James A. Holden <jaholden_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 08:32:23 -0700

In regard to my question about Doraddi lifestyle, Simon Bray says the Doraddi herd like the Masai. Peter Metcalfe says they hunt rather than herd. I always thought of them more like the Masai, but it now occurs to me that there aren't any gods or goddesses in Pamalt's Ring that are connected with cattle and livestock. If herding was a central focus, it seems like there would be some Pamaltelan equivalent to Eiritha. Or would this be an aspect of Aleshmara or Faranar? In your conception, Simon, do the women or the men own the cattle?

I bow to the overwhelming weight of clover references. Thanks for the GB reference, Peter; I didn't think to look there.

I also like the idea of the Kresh connection with Aldrya. Would that be considered an "orthodox" Aldryan belief, though, simply to grow trees with the express purpose of chopping them down for lumber? I don't see Aldrya getting much out of this. Are the Kresh planting more trees than they need as part of the bargain? If so, this behavior might eventually change the ecology of the plains and would certainly be threatening to the traditional savanna dwellers. Or is the Kresh tree-growing ability the result of a power wrested from Aldrya by heroquest?

Opinions?

James