RE: The Glorantha Digest V5 #60

From: clay_at_Incite.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 17:03:04 -0500

In my previous post (see below), I posed a question about the Red Goddess' path to her self-creation. I forgot to mention my hyper-heretical notion as well.

I could not help but think that the Red Goddess (or more precisely, mortal Rufelza), was a God Learner (in intention, anyway) or constructed herself using God Learner techniques. In short, the Goddess is a God Learner construct (???). [Of course, such statements seem almost invariably true. It seems the statement "My Stubbed Toe is a God Learner Construct." is often true, too.]

Or worse, she was identified completely after the fact by the Red Emperor using God Learner techniques. The Emperor, having no authentic claim to the scepter and crown, manufactured the Red Goddess to provide him the wherewithal to rule. The elements are there: a populist revolt lead by (gasp!) a woman, the convenient death or disappearance of said woman, a politically and religiously astute young man with big ambitions not above using her popularity to promote himself. A weak Emperor "willing" to share power with the upstart (powerless to stand against him, all the while legitimizing him). Or is this simply to horrible to contemplate?

This is why I wanted to know "how" she did it. I know the events and some specifics, but I find her origins achingly problematical when I think they aren't so. It's leaving a gaping hole in my thesis.

Many Thanks,

Clay, still trying to keep his boots clean in Corflu

Clay Luther
clay_at_incite.com

Hello, hello! This is Monkey Wrench calling Bunny Hutch Headquarters...