Doraddi

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 01:19:44 -0800

>But I get the impression that
>there's a larger range of game on the Pamaltelan plains, and
>consequently hunting might be emphasized more. (There's also more plant
>life for gathering, too.)

        I think the young warriors (Vangono types) express some of their excess aggression by attempting truly heroic feats of hunting, killing titanotheres and such. When they do so, the whole tribe gets to eat for days.

>David, I noticed in your "Dealing with the Doraddi" article (I
>especially liked the alesha/vangenya dichotomy) that you cited West
>African culture as your inspiration rather than East (like the Masai).

        I was thinking of the Maninka speaking tribes of Mali, Senegal, etc. They aren't nomadic - but I want to avoid basing the Doraddi too obviously on a single cultural group anyway. Plus, of course, there is a lot of other stuff mixed in, like Sandy's stuff, and the praise singers were a suggestion by Dave Pearton, and are probably southern african.

Peter Metcalfe
>>The Kresh are not understood very well,
>>appear to be doing pretty well our of the whole deal, and are the only
>>people on the plains that aren't Jolar Doraddi.
>
>Apart from the Blueskins, the Jungle Trolls, the Tarint Hsunchen....

        OK, the Jolar plains. Which cuts out the Blueskins who are mostly restricted to Zamokil and the great majority of the Hsunchen (and the trolls are only there if they are raiding). Pedant.

        (NB - how much is a Doraddi 'all'?)

>> I don't think the Vangono are at anything like the stage of
>>wholesale plunder yet.
>
>The Kresh caravans have been burning since 1613.

        I'm sure its happening - but I don't think its routine. Most Kresh wagons are unmolested, most Vangono have never participated in the burning of a wagon, many chiefs are still unconvinced that the Kresh are a real threat (though obviously many are). The situation is extreme tension, not war.

        But its an irrelevent question for most uses, anyway - you can choose to set your campaign anywhere along that timeline of escalation.

>Even the Vangono are likely to
>leave behind burned wagons. So why would the Kresh blame the
>Arbennan Confederation for the complete disappearance of their
>caravans?

        Because all the Kresh know is that wagons disappear and don't go back. If (as you argue) some wagons ARE burned by the Vangono, and some disappear, then the Kresh will assume that they simply never found the wreckage of some. Or at least, some Kresh will assume that, even though others might talk about mysterious disappearances.

>> The likely spark for the fire is not organise Vangono aggression (I
>>think the chieftains keep them in check better than that).
>
>Why? What is so special about Doraddi society that the chieftain
>can do this better than any other society in glorantha?

        The majority of social and financial power that isn't held by the chiefs is held by old to middle-aged women that hate warfare, who half the Vangono are married to, and the other half are trying to impress (in order to make a good marriage). These women are not pleased by anything that they think is likely to lead to retaliation against the tribe (and probably not even that pleased by the Vangono coming back with money, either, as they like holding the purse stringe). So I think that would make many Vangono reluctant to do anything without some tribal backing. But I'm sure that some Vangono either set off to raid anyway, or manage to convince enough of the tribe that it is a good idea.

        Cheers

                David