Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #65

From: Mystic Musk Ox <mab_at_sdc1.bnsc.rl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 11:36:02 GMT

Nick Brooke:

>_____
>Nigel asked about the Teshnan cross-dressing Sun Domer stuff. Look
>around V3 #227 (early and mid October of '96): this one spread over
>many posts and many Digests, and you'll have to pick and choose the
>bits you want to keep.

I've recently (i.e. the past few days), begun to get the itch to run a Glorantha RQ game...I pulled out the Glorantha box and looked around for inspiration, and after a while came across Teshnos, which looks like an interesting place. There doesn't seem to be much info around for it (this is both good and bad, of course!), apart from odd mentions in Elder Secrets, Bestiary, etc,etc. I had a look round Loren's site and read the stuff that was discussed there last year, so perhaps I can appeal to the nature of the Digest-at-large: Does anyone have any more info/references about Teshnos? I don't have access to ancient (or even relatively modern) issues of Different Worlds etc, etc.

For some reason, a voice in the back of my head keeps saying: "Think Burma/ Thailand". I think it's the elephants that do it.

I'd be especially interested in any info about Zitro Argon, Somash, Solf, Calyz and Furalor. The first three correspond roughly to Dayzatar, Yelm and Lodril - the Genertela Book mentions some local variations, but doesn't give any more details. I've got a copy of Sandy's Dayzatar write up. Presumably these are not the only deities worshipped here, although Calyz is the most popular, although I'm unsure what the cross-over is between Solf (Lodril), with Calyz being the god of smelting - I would have thought that this was a Solf type of thing...and does a sub-sect of Calyz which is gaining support among the peasants really teach a self-immolation spell?

Is there anything on Calyz or Furalor (who at the moment I see as a mixture of Asrelia and Ty Kora Tek), or indeed Tolat?

It seems rather odd that seagoing vessels are "practically unknown", with all those islands around - is this due to apathy, fear of Trowjang Amazons, fear of Yellow Elves, fear of Kralori warfleets, a leftover effect of the Closing, or all of the above? Although Dombain is referred to as the main port of Teshnos, so does the statement about vessels refer only to military ships?

Finally, what is the true story behind the Harstar affair, and what is the famous "lethargy which permeates Teshnos"?

Any information gratefully received!

thanks,

mark.