Illuminated GLs

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 11:32:53 -0500

V.S. Greene:
> I believe "officiallly" the God Learners were not Illuminates.
> Unofficially, I would think that some of them would most certainly
> have learned about illumination and its advantages and acheived it.....

        This turns out to be inaccurate. Illumination is a mystic/ philosphical mindset that is achieved by Deists. The GLs were Malkionists; believers in the Invisible God. They thought that all Deist's Gods were just demons and/or whopping big spirits. The GL/ Malkioni mindset is not one that produces Illumination. The GLs used Runic Vision/Rune Sight/whatever they called it. Both Greg and sandy have been quite specific about these not being the same thing.

        (Sidebar: please remember that the powergamers all want to be Illuminated so that they can ignore cult restrictions, break geases, etc. To a Malkioni, this is all garbage in the first place.)

> Keep in mind that Sandy has said the God Learners changed
> something about Glorantha and destroyed their "secret".

        The GLs didn't change the world, the world changed and ruined them. Many of their magical techniques stopped working, and the Secret of the GodLearners was wiped out by the Gift Carriers of the Sending Gods; who slaughtered everyone they could find that knew the secret. Jrustlia (their home island) sank beneath the waves.

> ...where else would all this post-Second Age material often condemned
> as God Learner-ish come from?

        Condemning something as GodLearnerish is the same thing as condemning something as racialy-biased in the USA; it's a slander that carries a lot of stigma, ragardless of whether its true or not.

Andrew Joelson				    joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com  -|-
aka Rupert von Harl; Cults of Seven Mothers, Yanifal Tarnils and Humakt |  "Contradiction? No, I always did tend to kill chaos creatures anyway" /