Teshnos

From: clay_at_Incite.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:14:27 -0500

Mark, Mystic Musk Ox sez:

>Glorantha RQ game...I pulled out the Glorantha box and looked around
for
>inspiration, and after a while came across Teshnos, which looks like an
>interesting place. There doesn't seem to be much info around for it
(this

>For some reason, a voice in the back of my head keeps saying: "Think
Burma/
>Thailand". I think it's the elephants that do it.

Aye, that works. I was leaning more towards Burma/Thailand/Bali/Malaysa.

>I'd be especially interested in any info about Zitro Argon, Somash,
Solf,
>Calyz and Furalor. The first three correspond roughly to Dayzatar, Yelm
and
>Lodril - the Genertela Book mentions some local variations, but doesn't
give
>any more details. I've got a copy of Sandy's Dayzatar write up.
Presumably

I am working on some Teshnos material. Here is a small portion of the religious section. Some of this appears in the GB.

Cults of Teshnos

There are five major cults in Teshnos. These gods appear similar to Solar Gods elsewhere in Glorantha, but with some minor differences. Additional, a few Teshni worship imported gods from the Wastelands and Kralorea and Dormal worship is growing stronger in Melib as Harstar struggles to turn his rebel nation into a naval power.

Zitro Argon

Usually identified with Dayzatar, he is the god of old men and women (that is, the useless). Zitro Argon offers his followers very little except perhaps esoteric wisdom. His associated cults are Colgan (Lux), Sofalia (Ourania), and Pole Star. The king, Pubshanap, Vessel of Light, is his high priest. He is ignored as much as any other follower of Zitro Argon is.

Somash

Usually identified with Yelm, he is the god of the sun, poetry, medicine, truth, marital fidelity, administrators, and warriors. He is the god of the upper caste and his priests are the real power behind the throne. Somash is cruel, imperious, and self-involed. He gives no quarter to his enemies and does not tolerate failure or "lack of vision" among his followers. His spirits of reprisal, the Twin Furies of Obligation and Failure, will carry oath-breakers off to the Hell of Burning Blood. The ambitious Garusharp, Prince of Elephants of Conquerer of Eagles, is his most powerful high priest.

Solf

Usually identified with Lodril, he is the god of volcanoes and decadence. He is often pictured as a fat, elephant-headed, dressed in fine silks which are splattered with food, wine, and mud. Statues of him often picture him reclining on couches, which strain beneath his weight, often sucking on a opium pipe. He favors rats (they represent good luck) and one is always pictured with him. Although lazy and often drug-adled, when roused to anger he is the most terrifying force in the world. People with nothing better to do worship him.

Calyz, Fire of Men

Calyz is the Teshnan god of cooking, smelting, and sex. He is the hero of the common folk, providing them with their food, livelihood, and a good deal of their entertainment. Calyz represents freedom and self-sufficiency and stands in humble opposition to the overwhelming authority assumed by Somash. In Melib, a subcult to Hisgoranstar of Gach has formed. The Melib rebel, Harstar of the Sea, is a priest of Calyz.

Furalor, the Cleansing Fire

Furalor is the Goddess of Death, the receiver of everything discarded. She was Somash's first wife, but she plotted against him and Somash cast her out of his house and cursed her to eat the dead and decaying. She is often pictured as a human-headed snake with eight arms, consuming anything which cannot move fast enough to get away. Failure to give her her due (whether its dead bodies or rotted rice) makes her very, very angry.

Tolat

Tolat is the Trowjang God of Love and War, the only "man" allowed to sleep with the Amazons of Trowgang. He is often pictured as a huge, powerful man with a monstrous phallus and delicate,. boy-like features. He is not worshipped outside of Trowgang.

MelibONY

One of the "Small Gods" of Melib, she is the Hungry Snake Goddess who fought Hisgoranstar and cast her spell upon Teshnos. She was defeated by Harstar in 1589 when he revitalized the island. She gave Harstar wisdom.

The Dragon Gods

Kralorelan merchants (and spies) have brought Dragon Worship to Teshnos. Although not popular, the Kralorelan aesthetic appeals to some Teshni. One Exarch lives in secret in Gio.

Aldrya

Humans near the elven jungles or who have contact with elves (a not-that-uncommon occurrence in Teshnos) sometimes worship her or, even more rarely, one of her associated cults. In Wokistan, she is married to Somash.
Mostal

The Dwarfs of Diamond Mountain are followers of Octomonism and therefore have precious little contact with anyone. Mostal worship among non-dwarfs is unknown.
Shamanism

The primitive Turtle-Hsunchen peoples of the Sofali Islands worship the Great Turtle. The Ti Shan Hsuchen worship various mountain and wasteland spirits.

Ancestor Worship

Ancestor worship is practiced in limited form all over Teshnos, though it is more common in Melib and the areas abutting the Wastelands.

Clay Luther
clay_at_incite.com

Hello, hello! This is Monkey Wrench calling Bunny Hutch Headquarters...