Teshnos

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:14:29 +0200

Mystic Musk Ox:

> Digest-at-large: Does anyone have any more info/references about Teshnos? I
- -..
> I'd be especially interested in any info about Zitro Argon, Somash, Solf,
> Calyz and Furalor. The first three correspond roughly to Dayzatar, Yelm and

My completely unofficial take on Teshnos: originally Teshnos was inhabited by Wareran humans who worshipped the land goddess Teshna. Later on sun-worshipping Kralori humans came as invaders. The original people were subjugated and forbidden worship of their gods. They are still around as the Night caste, the poor and downtrodden serfs who cannot own land or much of anything.

The invaders thus lost contact with the land goddess. Nowadays, with Genert dead, they need to nurture good contacts with the embyli of Fethlon to get access to their plant fertility magic.

The ruling Teshnans have three castes: Morning, Noon and Evening. The Morning caste are the farmers, who are supposed to primarily worship Solf (more about that below). The Noon caste are the nobles and warriors, worshippers of Somash. The Evening caste is for old people and holy men, priests and philosophers. They worship Zitro Argon.

An important concept is the trinity of creation, destruction and balance as represented by Morning/Solf, Noon/Somash and Evening Zitro Argon.

Calyz is a cultural hero, the god/deified man who taught men the use of the three fires during the Darkness: sexual passion, cooking fire and smelting. Today he is more popular with the Morning caste than Solf since the latter is seen as a decandent and spent force. Radical priests of Calyz say that the Night caste should be allowed to worship Caluz since they do partake of the first fire.

Furalor is another cultural hero who taught the Teshnans to dispose of the dead with fire to prevent their ghosts from haunting the living.

The Teshnans believe in reincarnation, where the spirit can progress to a higher caste in the next incarnation through righteous living.

> It seems rather odd that seagoing vessels are "practically unknown", with all
> those islands around - is this due to apathy, fear of Trowjang Amazons, fear of
> Yellow Elves, fear of Kralori warfleets, a leftover effect of the Closing,
> or all of the above?

I'd say all except fear of the yellow elves.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689