RuneQuest Vision and Illumination

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:24:59 +0100

Just a quick note on Joel's reply to an earlier post:
>V.S. Greene:
>> I believe "officiallly" the God Learners were not Illuminates.
>> Unofficially, I would think that some of them would most certainly
>> have learned about illumination and its advantages and acheived it.....
>
> This turns out to be inaccurate. Illumination is a mystic/
>philosphical mindset that is achieved by Deists. The GLs were
>Malkionists; believers in the Invisible God. They thought that all
>Deist's Gods were just demons and/or whopping big spirits. The GL/
>Malkioni mindset is not one that produces Illumination. The GLs
>used Runic Vision/Rune Sight/whatever they called it. Both Greg
>and sandy have been quite specific about these not being the same thing.

I agree entirely that RQVision != Illumination but I don't know that I've ever heard it authoritatively said that they couldn't be enjoyed(?) by one person at the same time or that a Deist mindset is required before Illumination.

Remember that Arkat was raised as a Malkioni and also illuminated.

I agree that Illumination has strange effects on Deist minds but believe it could have equally strange effects on Malkioni.