GL metaphor

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 14:03:42 -0400

Alex wrote:

> At the very least an Illuminated GL is going to have similar sorts
> of problems as an Illuminated Orlanthi would: he's become a peg of
> indeterminate shape in a square hole.

A triangular hole, surely.

Chris Bell writes:

> From some previous postings here on the digest, I've seen it written
> that Irripi Ontor was not only a priest of Lhankor Mhy, but also was
> Yanafal Tarnil's court Vizier and a fairly powerful practicioner of
> Carmanian/Malkioni style sorcery. How did he do this and also =

> practice Lightbringer worship? Illumination ;)

No, I think you'll find that what's actually been said is that Irrippi Ontor was *not* a Grey Sage of Lhankor Mhy from Notchet Temple (cf. the RQ2 cult writeup), but rather belonged to the traditional educated Pelorian class of nobles' advisers, the Viziers of Carmania, albeit in Irrippi Ontor's case with an unusual bias towards the star-lore of Yuthuppa (the Dara Happan city Yanafal's father ruled as satrap/duke).

I strongly doubt that Irrippi Ontor would have believed himself to be a worshipper of "Lhankor Mhy", or a "Lightbringer cultist". But it's entirely understandable that the ignorant barbarians, hearing about the role of this sage-god of the Empire, would assume he must have been the Lawspeaker or Grey Sage on the King of Yuthuppa's clan ring.

The world-wide brotherhood of Lhankor Mhy sages seen in RQ2 CoP has not reappeared in subsequent source material; I can understand why not. Similarly, I think the largest patch of common ground in re: sources for the Seven Mothers' Quest holds that, while elements from the LBQ can certainly be seen therein, the 7MQ was more than just a parody or perversion of that barbarian ritual, and the participants certainly had wider mythic horizons than the Orlanthi.

This is not to deny that Irrippi Ontor became Illuminated -- though I believe (for purely literary reasons) that this is likely to have occurred during or after the Seven Mothers' Quest, rather than before and in a different context. (Otherwise the number of "prequels" we need before writing "Moon" becomes unsustainable, like Asimov...)

> ASFAIK, the only Gloranthan element NOT present within the Red
> Goddess is a Storm/Air element (which I could be very well wrong
> in, I haven't read Entekosiad), and Kralori or EWF Draconic
> Mysticism (which I could be dropping the ball on too.)

The Lunar Cosmos will replace turbulent Stormy rebellion with cyclical Lunar revolution as the elemental principle between Earth and Sky.

Hon-Eel the Artess, an incarnation of the Red Goddess, had dealings with a Dragon.

::::
Nick
::::