Various HeroQuest things....

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 00:16:50 +0100

Phil Hibbs has some questions:

>Does "time" as we know it occur on the hero plane?
>Do people "heal" over "time"?
>Do temporal spells "expire"?
>Do magic points regenerate?

At one stage the answer to this was a definite 'no'. I'm quite happy with this to be the case. It fits my view of how things work.

>Are these phenomenon experienced differently across cultures?

A good question to which I know of no answer.
>One model which appeals to me is:
>
>=2EHeroquesting occurs independent of mundane time
>=2ETherefore, spells are permanent
>=2ETherefore, spells cast on the HP are lost

This idea I am not in favour of. I do agree that spells cannot be regenerated on the Hero Plane but not that when you get back you can't re-sacrifice.

One point that I was considering was to make the duration of spirit spells (and maybe Rune Spells too) be 'one scene' or 'one location'. Spells do not last a period of tick-tock time but have effect at one point in the story, one node in the journey and are then gone.

>=2EAlso, MPs and HPs are not regenerated - there is some other =
>
>mechanism of getting them back (affinity to the Magic rune?)
>=2ELikewise for hit points.
>=2EPerhaps mini-Quests must be completed to restore lost hit =
>
>points, magic points and spells

Well, mini-Quests can do just about anything. I think that 'natural' healing won't happen on the Hero-Plane. You have to actively use skills and magic to heal someone.

>=2EIf you have supporters, then their interpretation of cause =
>and effect causes time to pass on the mundane plane while the =
>quest continues. If you have no support, you arrive back on =
>the mundane plane at the moment of departure.
>With problems like this to cope with, the need to make life =
>on the HP fundamentally more difficult (skill/10, hypercrits =
>etc.) is reduced, as life is inherently more complex.

I think that supporters are your only source of fresh magic points and other forms of re-supply, magical and mundane.
>Michael Cule
>>will someone explain to me why Pavis isn't still
>>the ruler of his city today.
>
>I'm not too sure about Pavis specifically, I don't have the =
>info to hand, but maybe this highlights the difference =
>between HQing for personal gain, and for cultural gain. =
>Maybe you have to apotheosise in order to transfer benefits =
>to your kinfolk, otherwise your power stays personal and =
>is lost if you croak.

That's a good point. I have also assumed that to build a cult will add to the.....

Hmmm, I've just had a whatyoumaycallum.... A moment of satori. (It may be one that has appeared before...)

Perhaps what forces apotheosis is not the amount of POW/WILL/WHATEVER that you have on the God Plane but the number of people who are treating you as a god. That is the number of people who have taken up your path in imitation of you and are using the Rune Magic or whatever you have brought back.

Hmm.. Yearly chance of apotheosis =(Number of Initiates) - Hero's POW %

Might work....