Illuminated God Learners

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 17:08:43 -0400 (EDT)

Loren Miller:
<< So a pious God Learner would never offer worship to any god other than the  Invisible God, and a pious Illuminate can offer worship to many gods. Looks  pretty incompatible to me. >>

    But then, a pious Humakti would never offer worship to a chaotic deity (especially one connected with undead), wheras, AFAIK, a pious Illuminate can worship both without a problem. Illumination allows one to see beyond the simpler cultural definitions of 'piety' IMO. That sort of 'incompatibility' becomes irrelevant to an Illuminant. So I personally see no reason why a pious non-Stygian Malkioni could not become Illuminated. Of course, he'd be regarded as a heretic and Naughty Person by his peers, but that's no different than the problems an Illuminated Storm Bull has to face.

    OTOH, I'd agree that the God Learners Secret relied on a specific mindset which Illumination renders impossible. I'd agree with Alex's earlier posting to the effect that an Illuminated God Learner would no longer be able to use/believe in the results of his RuneSight powers. So, no to Illuminated GLs, but yes to Illuminated non-GL Malkioni, would be my take on the matter.

 Chris Bell: << Chaos is a universal constant in Glorantha, and it exists whether or not one is a Central Genertelan Deist or a Western Monotheist.>>

Alex: <<Well, you might think this, but I think it's fairly clear that Pelorians
as a rule don't, and Illuminants _certainly_ don't.>>

    I could well be wrong here, but I didn't think the Pelorians deny the existence of Chaos, they just don't think it's necesserily a Bad Thing. I thought that at least some forms of Gloranthan Chaos were pretty objective phenomena. Please correct me if I'm taking cobblers...

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #74