Heroquests, Arkat and Illumination

From: Paolo Guccione <p.guccione_at_geco.it>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 22:03:32 +0200

Joerg B.
- -------

> > IMO Tanisor had embraced first Malkionism, then Illumination. Neither to
> > their full extent, as the subsequent developments seem to imply - their
> > kings becoming the Vampire Kings. (And likely the source for the
> > Vivamort-Humakt enmity myth...) The plague&healing trick IMO was played
> > around Laurmal.

Simon Phipp replies

- -------------------

> Aaaagh! Why put things this way round? Why not that Humakt gained Death
> after Vivamort told Eurmal the Secret, thus causing emnity between them,
> thus the Vampire Kings and Humakti fights would reinforce the myth. It
> seems strange that people always want to assume that the major myths came
> afterwards.

That may be. But please note that one of the most credited current theories (though it was David Dunham that told me so, not Joerg) is that a lot of things we know about Humakt were "discovered" by Arkat through Heroquesting. If Humakt was truly Humath before Arkat, did he hate Undead at that time?

Simon Phipp replies to Philip Hibbs

- -------------------------------------

> > With problems like this to cope with, the need to make life
> > on the HP fundamentally more difficult (skill/10, hypercrits
> > etc.) is reduced, as life is inherently more complex.
>
> True enough, but the skill/10 (I use skill/5 as being more akin to RQ2
> rules - special hits etc.) makes combats etc. shorter and more fun (anyone
> who has ever had 2 Rune Lords fighting at high percentages in RQ3 knows
> that combats can take hours real time - no fun there).

This may happen, but only in duels between two equally-armed and armored opponents - many heroquests have non-human opponents or feature combats that have to end within few MR anyhow. I encountered the problem you are pointing out some months ago, in a duel between a PC and a major NPC, but it ended in twenty MR because of fatigue weapon breakage.

Anyway, I have always thought that changing the rules for HQ is just a way to have the players worry about the rules and not the Quest. And no matter how much skilled you are in Sword Parry, you cannot parry the (RQ3) Cacocodemon with a sword, so you must find a different way to pass to the next Station.

Well, in fact there _is_ a PC in my campaign who can parry the Cacodemon with a sword...

Simon Phipp again

> "Arkatism" shows itself to be Illumination, but under the influence of St.
> Arkat's Blessing good Arkati Illuminates show up as White and non-Arkati
> (bad) Illuminates show as mottled grey (I believe). Arkat knows the
> difference between a Good Illuminate and a Bad One. It;s all a matter of
> what you do with it.

Interesting theory. The well-known "DeVille vs. Gim Gim" controversy from Martin Laurie's fiction suggests that there are Illuminates that we, the non-Illuminates, classify as "good" while there are others that we see as "bad". But is not Illumination the ability to see through stereotypes? I believe that all Illuminati are the same colour to Arkat-blessed eyes. It is the Arkati himself who must see the true nature of the Illuminate through his/her actions, just like Arkat saw through Gbaji's deceivings. I believe.

Paolo Guccione	p.guccione_at_geco.it
		http://users.geco.it/guccione