Heroquesting, time and magic.

From: Simon D. Hibbs <s.hibbs_at_forestry.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 15:46:57 +0100 (BST)

>Does "time" as we know it occur on the hero plane?
>Do people "heal" over "time"?
>Do temporal spells "expire"?
>Do magic points regenerate?
>Are these phenomenon experienced differently across cultures?
>
>One model which appeals to me is:
>
>Heroquesting occurs independent of mundane time
>Therefore, spells are permanent
>Therefore, spells cast on the HP are lost

I don't think this follows. It's based on too literal an interpretation of 'time'. My own view is that spells on the hero plane are essentialy more like objects. i.e. A protection spell is more like a suit of armour - you put it on when you want to, but would not think of wearing it all the time. Remember that spells are visible.

Technicaly, I agree that durationed spells are permanent, but that in practice they can be turned off and must be recast to turn back on again. Thus a heroquester approaching a dangerous place would cast all her defensive spells and would not have to worry about their duration. On returning to safety, she would usualy drop them and switch over to other spells such as Glamour.

Example : Hariet the Heroquestor sneaks through the blasted wastes, fighting off chaos monsters and darkness foes before finaly reaching the Citadell of Peace. On gaining entry, she is invited by the Citadell's guardians to a formal dance. Dropping her combat spells (wearing her Shimmer and silence spells during a social function would be out of the question!), she Glamours up and impresses them with her witty repartee. The next day she resumes her journey - oh BUGGER, she's lots all her combat abilities, she's screwed!

I don't think so.

>Also, MPs and HPs are not regenerated - there is some other
>mechanism of getting them back (affinity to the Magic rune?)
>Likewise for hit points.

IMHO food on the heroplane is so magical that simply eating and drinking is enough to revitalise and restore MPs and fatigue. Healing is probably linked in to this. You need to eat and rest, but you also need tending. A single First Aid roll heals all but serious wounds, for example.

>Perhaps mini-Quests must be completed to restore lost hit
>points, magic points and spells

I realy don't like this idea. It makes questing into a real pain in the arse. Also, it makes magic far more awkward to use than on the mundane plane. Surely, it should be much easier?

Simon Hibbs