GC V report

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 09:36:32 -0500

        Well, I'm back from the Con, and a good time was had by all. Lot's of fun, comraderie (and beer, of course). Lots of Ozzies turned up, and the Reaching Moon Megacorp was out in force.

        Friday Night there was the ritual Welcome of the Goddess to the Descended Island of Vancouver. Greg led the Lunar Embassy, Mob lead the pro-Lunar Islanders, and Sandy the Islander Opposition. Having been a staunch Sandy-ite, I am pleased to announce that the focus of our eforts were to put a stop to the lewd behavior of the immoral goddess. Frex, during the Goddess's disrobing, the females in our group to re-robed her, whilst the men stood in front forming a human wall so that none would see such lascivious antics....

        Sing along with Nick was well lubricated. Several short songs were composed on the spot, and I worked out the Anthem of the Bright Empire overnight; posting it in the seminar room for interested readers. (I'll copy to the Digest when I find it again.)

        Saturday. Lore Auction went well, particularly since we were using the (relatively cheap) Canadian Dollar. Vs the recent Illumination  vs Enlightenment camp, I asked and was told that there was no real difference in the results provided. They both yield freedom from cultural restrictions, etc. I guess it's two different roads that get to the same place....

        Greg, Eric & Rob had some very interesting business matters to discuss in what ammounted a seminar on the future Gloranthan efforts. I will leave it to Eric/rob to go into specifics. However, Stratalbiri seems to be out of the picture.....

        Life of Moonson. Life, Death, Birth & Re-birth in Glamour. Most people seem to have enjoyed themselves. I played Thanuk of Thunder Delta, Commander of the Thunder Delta Slingers & General of the Imperial Reserves. I met six of twelve starting goals, which I understand is a credible performance for somebody LARPing for the first time. I got to buddy up to Jar-Eel & kiss the hem of Moonson's Robe. And best of all, I went on a Sacred Time Quest with Beat-Pot Aelwrin. When asked to assist, I proudly announced that I would go to Hel for the Empire, and could scarcely ask for better company, (although we did go off in a different direction). Gratuitous praise to Nick, Kevin, David, Rick, Chris, and anyone else I missed, for all their hard work.

        Sunday started of (for me) with the Diet of Worms, David Dunham's mini-LARP. As the baldest player there, I volunteered to strengthen my ties to the sandy Rune, and played the Only Old One. The EWF annexed Saird, and more importantly (to me), gave the encroaching GodLearners and dang good thrashing. Twice as many resources were hurled against Feroda as were used to conquer Saird!

        In the afternoon, I played in Chris Gidlow's Revolt in the Redlands event. Weall died, of course, but the fun was in dying gloriousy.

        The Auction was well attended, with Andre Jarosh and Andrew bean being the star players. The story-telling contest was delayed, and finally ran with a very small group.

        Gratuitous Praise to Niel Robinson, Bill Thomson, David Dunham, Pam Carlson, the Richard's, (and anybody I missed), for all the hard work!

                Andrew