RE: The Glorantha Digest V5 #78

From: cpearce_at_Incite.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 13:43:26 -0500

Fabian Kuechler wrote:

> fkuechle_at_stud.uni-frankfu The Great Compromise

> Did anyone of you thought of the following question?

> Are the Chaos-gods part of the Great Compromise?

> It could be that I am missing an important information or can't find a
> specific source.

> Fabian Kuechler

Not-very-informed speculation augmented by faulty memory follows.

I think the Chaos gods are bound by the Compromise but did not enter it willingly. From KoS, after Yelm recognized Orlanth, everyone present had to willingly enter the Compromise. After everyone had done so, Arachne Solara wove a great net. Then Wakboth showed up and everyone trapped him in the net.

So Wakboth did not willingly enter the Compromise but the magic everyone wove was so powerful that he was bound by it anyway.

I was always intrigued by the gist of the subsequent events. Arachne Solara consumes Wakboth and then surreptitiously births a child, which she conceals from everyone. I guess this child is Time, but why did she have to conceal it? Because it was vulnerable or because some of the other gods would want to take it or something? Maybe she didn't want the other gods to look at it too closely because time is really chaos.